Happy Friday! It’s almost the weekend and I’ve got a special treat for you guys: German vegan cinnamon apple pancakes. Different parts of Germany have different names for these pancakes, where I’m from we call them ‘Apfelränzchen’.
But they’re not just regular apple pancakes, you see. These autumnal treats are made by cutting apples into slices, dipping them in pancake batter and then frying them until they turn golden brown. The result is a perfectly crispy pancake that’s hiding an entire tender, sweet apple slice!
So, so good!
The pancakes make a great chilly morning Autumn breakfast and are the perfect way to kick of the apple season!
If you make this recipe at home be sure to tag your photo #myvibrantkitchen on Instagram. I love seeing all your beautiful recreations. And don’t forget to sign up for My Vibrant Kitchen’s newsletter to get the latest recipes, vegan lifestyle tips and travel diaries straight to your inbox.
- 2 apples
- 125 g white plain flour
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp corn flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp white caster sugar or sweetener of choice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 140 ml soy milk or plant-based milk
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- For the pancake batter mix the flour, corn flour, baking powder, pinch of salt, sugar and cinnamon in a bowl until well combined.
- Add the milk, vegetable oil and vanilla extract and stir to combine. Don’t over mix the batter but make sure it’s rather smooth, not too lumpy. Set aside.
- Peel, core and slice the apples into rings like you can see in the photo.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat and add a teaspoon of oil.
- Dip an apple slice in the batter and coat the entire slice evenly. Transfer to the frying pan and fry both sides until golden brown. Repeat until you’ve used up all the apple slices. If you have any batter left, just make a couple of regular pancakes.
- I like to bake my apple pancakes in the oven for 10 minutes at 180˚C so the apples go extra tender and the pancakes are cooked all the way through.
- Stack the pancakes and top with vegan vanilla ice cream, cinnamon sugar or maple syrup. Enjoy!