These homemade chili, garlic and herb infused oil bottles would make beautiful (and very tasty!) edible Christmas gifts! And what’s more, they’re super quick and easy to make but look rather elegant. Don’t you think?
This recipe is more of a flavour suggestion than a proper recipe and you’re more than welcome to experiment with different oils and herb combinations.
The instructions below make for a medium spicy, garlic oil, infused with Mediterranean herbs. Ideal for drizzling on pizza, a pasta dish or risotto!
The rapeseed oil gives it a beautiful clear, golden colour were as olive oil will look a little more cloudy.
Making homemade infused oils can be a cause of Botulism which is why it is important to cook the vegetables in the oil for quite a while until there is no water left and I recommend keeping the oil refrigerated and not keeping it for too long. If you want to be extra safe, use only dried ingredients. If you have a food dehydrator you could first prepare and then dry them before infusing the oil. Here are a few tips!
If you make this recipe at home be sure to tag your photo #myvibrantkitchen on Instagram. I love seeing all your beautiful recreations. And don’t forget to sign up for My Vibrant Kitchen’s newsletter to get the latest recipes, vegan lifestyle tips and travel diaries straight to your inbox.
- 1 l oil (I used Rapeseed oil for its clear golden colour)
- 10 dried chilis, halved length ways
- 10 fresh (or dried) garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- Handful of fresh (or dried) rosemary, thyme and/or oregano twigs
- Please make sure to read the section above about making and storing infused oils safely!
- Pour the oil in a big pot or sauce pan. Add the chilis and heat the oil on a low heat until it starts bubbling. You want the oil to cook at about 85˚C.
- Add the garlic and herbs and let the mixture cook for a few more minutes until the oil is rather fragrant. Make sure the garlic and herbs don’t start to brown.
- Turn off the heat and let the oil cool before funnelling it in small bottles. The infused oil bottles make lovely edible gifts as well as a flavourful addition to your own kitchen! Enjoy!