This one’s for all the pasta lovers out there, me very much included. When I first moved away from home I practically lived off of pasta for a year. It’s quick and easy and pretty great for a student budget.
And then about a year ago I stepped up my pasta game and started making my own from scratch. After a few trials and errors followed many successes and eventually I got confident enough to start adding other ingredients.
I like my pasta colourful, you see. My favourites are beetroot & spinach fettucine. Well, techinally they’re not fettucine because I don’t use eggs, but they look like fettucine. If you have more pasta knowledge and you know what they’re actually called, please comment below!
Originally I made purple pasta by adding beetroot juice. Which works just fine. But lately I’ve been taking my pasta making to a new level and use oven roasted beets instead. It creates a nicer texture and combinded with the juice it makes the most beautiful vibrant purple fettucine.
Topped off with home made avocado pesto the fettucine doesn’t only make a delicious, flavoursom meal it also makes a kick ass colour combination.
- Beetroot Pasta:
- 2 beetroots
- 1 Tbsp oil
- generous pinch of salt
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup semolina flour
- ½ cup water or beet juice (to enhance colour)
- Avocado Pesto:
- 2 ripe medium sized avocados
- bunch of basil
- ½ cup cashew nuts
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 4 garlic cloves (roasted)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup olive oil
- For the Beetroot Pasta:
- Pre-heat the oven to 175˚C.
- Peel the beetroots and cut them into quarters. On an oventray cover them in 1Tbsp olive oil and a generous pinch of salt. Bake them for 20 minutes or until the beets quarters are softer and starting to get dark edges.
- Let the beets cool, then add them to a food prossessor or blender and blitz until you get a pure. Add ½ cup of water or beetroot juice while blending.
- In a bowl mix the all purpose and semolina flour until well combined. Add the beet puree and knead the mixture for 10 minutes adding ½ cup if beetroot juice or water in the process until you have a firm dough.
- Let the dough sit for 10 minutes then knead it again and roll it out thinly on a clean surface dusted with flour. I used a rolling pin but empty wine bottles work just as well.
- Cut the dough into long fettucine or whatever shape you desire.
- On the hob bring water to a boil and cook the pasta for 3 to 5 minutes.
- For the Avocado Pesto:
- Peel 4 garlic cloves, cover them in oil and roast them in the oven until they start to turn golden brown. To save energy you can roast them together with the beetroots.
- Using a foodprocessor or blender blend the cashews and nutritional yeast until you have a fine crumbly textrue.
- Add the avocados, basil, lemon juice, garlic cloves and salt and blend again. Add the olive oil and pulse until well combined.
- Top the fettucine with the avocado pesto and enjoy!