Happy New Year! Happy 2019!
It’s January which means it’s also Veganuary! Over 25,000 people have signed up this year, pledging to go vegan for the month of January. For the animals and/or for our planet, both pretty good reasons if you ask me. Are you going to give it a try?
Either way, this homemade vegan baked beans recipe is the perfect way to start the day, for vegans and non-vegans alike.
It’s warming, hearty and full of flavour to combat the winter blues AND it’s nutritious and high in protein at the same time. What else can you ask for in a breakfast?
If you make this recipe at home be sure to tag your photo #myvibrantkitchen on Instagram. I love seeing all your beautiful recreations. And don’t forget to sign up for My Vibrant Kitchen’s newsletter to get the latest recipes, vegan lifestyle tips and travel diaries straight to your inbox.
- 1½ Tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 stick celery, thinly sliced
- 1 small carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 800 g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp brown sugar (or sweetener of choice)
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 3 cans butter beans (720g drained weight)
- Heat the olive oil in a big frying pan over medium heat, add the onion and fry until they start to turn translucent.
- Add the garlic, celery and carrot and fry for a few minutes until everything is nice and soft.
- Then add the salt, pepper, tinned tomatoes, brown sugar, tomato paste, paprika powder and white wine vinegar and let it cook and bubble for about 8 minutes.
- Take the frying pan off the heat and transfer the sauce into a deep sauce pan. Use a stick blender to blend the sauce until it’s smooth and creamy. Alternatively you can blend the sauce in a blender and transfer it to the saucepan after.
- Add the butter beans and place it on the hob. Let everything reheat over medium to high heat for 5 to ten minutes and add more salt and pepper to taste.
- I served my baked beans on fresh sourdough bread with a generous sprinkle of chopped chives. Enjoy!