Turns out the richest, creamiest and most indulgent (decadent, luxurious.. I could go on and on) hot chocolate is dairy free. Seriously, heavy cream got nothing on this baby!
I can’t take credit for this one though. My boyfriend introduced me to this amazing vegan hot chocolate recipe and I’ve made it many, many times since. And then the other day I felt a bit adventures and added chilli to the chocolate. BOOM! Explosion in my mouth.
The rich dark chocolate and the chilli after burn go perfectly together. A match made in heaven – or maybe in hell?
It’s the perfect lazy Sunday morning treat. I imagine breakfast in bed with this thick and creamy hot chocolate and a stack of pancakes.
I like my food super spicy so you might have to adjust the chilli powder amount.
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 3 cups dark dairy free chocolate chopped in pieces
- 1-2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 cup coconut cream
- Scrape the solid part of the coconut cream into a mixing bowl and whip with a whisk until creamy and fluffy then pop it in the fridge.
- Heat the coconut milk on low to medium heat in a saucepan on the stove.
- Once the milk starts to sizzle add the chocolate and stir until melted.
- Add the chilli powder and mix until well combined. It's best not to add the chilli powder all at once but taste the hot chocolate in between.
- Pour the hot chocolate in a mug and top with coconut whip. Enjoy!