This recipe is a real triple threat! It’s quick, it’s budget friendly and it’s super tasty.
Veganism tends to have a reputation of being expensive, time consuming and exclusive. Well pardon my French, but fuck that.
Veganism is whatever you make it and to proof my point I’ve decided to from now on share lots (and lots) more easy, cheap, no fuss vegan recipes.
And at the end of every month I’ll post a roundup with all of those recipes combined, conveniently in one place for all of us vegans on a budget.
This recipe makes enough for two generous portions and I’ve spent well under £5.
Not bad, ey?
And even though it’s very affordable, it by no means lacks in taste, scent or texture. The bolognese sauce is hearty, rich in flavour (and smell for that matter), satisfying and high in protein, too.
You can easily double or triple the recipe if you’re hosting a dinner party or want leftovers for next day lunch.
There’s really no reason left for you not to try it.
If you make this recipe at home be sure to tag your photo #myvibrantkitchen on Instagram. I love seeing all your beautiful recreations. And don’t forget to sign up for My Vibrant Kitchen’s newsletter below to get the latest recipes, vegan lifestyle tips and travel diaries straight to your inbox.
- 150 g lentils
- 750 ml water
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 40 g tomato paste (tube of puree)
- 50 ml oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 200 ml tomato passata
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- Pinch of chilli powder
- 200 g pasta
- Bring 750ml water to a boil, rinse the lentils in a sieve and transfer them in the pot of boiling water.
- Add ½ tsp salt, stir the lentils and close the pot with a lid.
- Cook the lentils for 20 - 25 minutes or until they are tender, then drain them.
- Boil the pasta, add a generous pinch of salt to the water and cook until al dente.
- Meanwhile dice half an onion and finely chop 2 garlic cloves.
- Heat up the oil in a big non-stick frying pan and add the diced onion and tomato paste. Mix until the onion pieces are all covered and fry until they start to caramelise.
- Now add the chopped garlic and ½ tsp salt. Fry for another minute then add the tomato passata, thyme, oregano, chilli powder and lentils.
- Turn down the heat and let the sauce bubble for 5 more minutes.
- Drain the pasta and top each bowl with a generous heap of bolognese. Enjoy!