So far the new year has brought us plenty of grey skies and rain. Thanks London!
Rainy days make me crave hot, hearty soup all the time. Which means I’ve been having a different soup bubbling away on the hob each day of the week. I’m very much enjoying channeling my ‘inner cozy’ and playing around with a variety of recipes inspired by different cuisines.
From heavy, thick and creamy potato soup to hearty vegetable broth. I’ve tried it all in the past two weeks. Expect to see a selection of my faves on the blog this month. If you’re not big on soup, don’t you worry, I’ll be posting loads of delicious non-soupy recipes, too!
But for now, here’s one of my favourite soups of the week: Spicy lemongrass infused ginger coconut soup topped with crispy tofu. So good!
This soup is as warming and satisfying as soups come. The broth alone is bursting with flavour and the chilly really warms you up from inside out.
Plus, my two favourite herbs are coriander and lemongrass. And guess what? You’ll find both of them in this soup.
If you make this recipe at home be sure to tag your photo #myvibrantkitchen. I love seeing all your beautiful recreations. And don’t forget to sign up for My Vibrant Kitchen’s newsletter below to get the latest recipes, vegan lifestyle tips and travel diaries straight to your inbox.
- 1 package firm or extra firm tofu (400g)
- 1 long red pepper
- 3 slices red cabbage
- 1 red onion
- 3 large flat mushrooms
- 2-4 small hot chilli peppers, seeds removed
- 1 pak choi
- 3 lemongrass stalks
- 2 cm fresh ginger, grated
- 5 garlic cloves
- 3 stock cubes (32g each)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 limes
- 4 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 package noodles of choice
- 1 can coconut milk (400ml)
- Cut the tofu into cubes and start frying it in 1 Tbsp oil in a pan. The tofu will take about 10-15 minutes to become golden-brown and crispy. Add the soy sauce about half way through. Keep tossing and turning the cubes every couple of minutes to prevent them from burning.
- Wash and slice all the vegetables and fry the red pepper, the cabbage and the onion in 3 Tbsp oil in a big sauce pan.
- Finely chop the garlic, you can use a food processor or blender and peel and then grate the ginger. Add both to the big sauce pan and stir. I like to keep a ginger root in the freezer, frozen ginger is much easier to grate.
- Once the vegetables start to soften, add the sliced mushrooms and boil a kettle full of water.
- Once the water is boiling add 5 cups of water to the sauce pan. Now add the stock cubes, the lemongrass stalks, the chilly slices and the pak choi and stir again. I like my soup very spicy. If you're not that into it, start with 1 chilli pepper, let it simmer and release its flavour, taste and add more if you like.
- Cook the noodles according to the instructions on the package.
- Add the apple cider vinegar, the juice of 2 limes and the coconut milk, stir and wait for it to boil again. Taste the soup and adjust flavour with more stock or lime if necessary.
- Serve the soup with the noodles and top off with the crispy tofu cubes. Enjoy!