And so the autumn craze begins… Welcome to the first of many delicious autumnal recipes. Watch MVK transform into a cozy, pumpkin spiced, steaming chai scented and hearty food-lover’s paradise. I hope you’re at least half as obsessed as I am otherwise you might not be able (or willing) to put up with my giddiness and excitement.
The first cold breeze, waking up to rainy mornings and hot cups of tea have done the trick for me. I feel especially inspired and am bursting with new recipe ideas. I’m aware I’m overly romanticising the change of seasons. Sorry, can’t help myself.
If you’re not feeling it yet, this autumn spiced granola might just get you in the mood. It’s full of warming spices, pecans, dates, pumpkin seeds and apples, the perfect breakfast for chilly mornings.
- 3 cups rolled oats
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp cloves
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup apple sauce
- 1 medium apple
- 1 cup dates
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup pecans
- Pre-heat the oven to 175˚C.
- Pour the oats in a mixing bowl. In a smaller bowl mix the oil, sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and salt.
- Add the mixture to the oats and mix well. Then add the apple sauce and mix again.
- Line 2 baking trays with grease-proof paper and spread the mixture evenly. Bake the oat mixture for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile roughly cut the dates and the apple into pieces. When the 15 minutes are done take the trays out of the oven and add the chopped up apple, the pecan haves and pumpkin seeds and mix with the oats. Try not to break to many of the oat chunks into small pieces.
- Pop the trays back in the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Lastly add the dates, stir the granola again and bake the mixture for another 5 minutes just until the dates start caramelizing.
- When the granola is done leave it out to cool and then enjoy with your favourite plant-based milk.