THIS is the best damn potato salad. And I don’t mean best vegan potato salad, I mean best potato salad. Full stop.
Don’t get me wrong, mayonnaise potato salad, the classic, is pretty great, though usually not very vegan. But trust me, this one’s much better.
I came up with the recipe when I was preparing the menu for a festival I was catering a couple of month ago and the potato salad was a big hit with everyone.
I wanted to make a salad dressing as creamy as mayonnaise but packed with flavour. That’s when I stumbled upon my new food revelation: tahini and mustard were meant to go together! Just like tahini and chickpeas in hummus, possibly better.
Unpeeled baby potatoes mixed with sun dried tomatoes, black olives, capers, artichoke hearts, tahini-mustard dressing and a splash of lemon – the perfect side dish for BBQ’s, garden parties and picnics.
- ½ cup tahini
- 1½ Tbsp mustard
- 7 Tbsp olive oil
- 7 Tbsp water
- pinch of salt
- juice of half lemon
- 1kg baby potatoes
- 2 cups sun dried tomatoes (roughly chopped)
- 2 cups black olives
- 2cups artichoke hearts (roughly chopped)
- 1 cup capers
- Clean the baby potatoes and cut them in halves. Bring water to a boil, add a teaspoon of salt and boil the potatoes (unsealed) until soft. You want them to be on the firmer side, not to the point of falling apart. It will take between 10 to 20 minutes, depending on the size of the potato halves.
- Drain them, put them in a bowl an leave them to cool.
- Roughly chop the sun dried tomatoes and artichoke hearts.
- For the dressing mix the tahini, mustard, olive oil, water, salt and lemon juice until you have a smooth, creamy texture. The mixture might curdle at first just keep stirring until everything is combined smoothly.
- Mix the potatoes, the dressing, the sun dried tomatoes, olives, artichoke hearts and capers in the bowl. Enjoy.