I just found my new favourite lazy Sunday morning breakfast. Warm, sweet and creamy apple porridge, spiced with vanilla and cinnamon and topped with crunchy maple glazed nuts.
I’m not exaggerating, it’s like having apple pie for breakfast.
Have you ever tried baking porridge? Or oatmeal if you’re American/Canadian.
If you have then you’ll understand my excitement, if you haven’t then it’s about time you give it a go!
Believe it or not, I’ve never even been that big of a fan of porridge but popping it in the oven instead of boiling it on the stove was a real game changer for me.
And the best part? The recipe’s dead simple, too!
I could go on and on but I think you’re already sold.
Just scroll down for the recipe and get baking.
If you make this recipe at home be sure to tag your photo #myvibrantkitchen on Instagram. I love seeing all your beautiful recreations. And don’t forget to sign up for My Vibrant Kitchen’s newsletter below to get the latest recipes, vegan lifestyle tips and travel diaries straight to your inbox.
- 3 medium sized apples
- 100 g oats
- 300 ml non-dairy milk
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 75 g pecans and/or walnuts
- extra drizzle of maple syrup
- Pre-heat the oven to 180˚C.
- Peel and core the apples and cut them into pieces.
- Whisk together the oats, non-dairy milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract, cinnamon and salt in a mixing bowl. Pour the mixture in an oven-safe dish and mix in the apple pieces.
- Roughly chop the pecans/walnuts and sprinkle them on top. Drizzle extra maple syrup on top of the nuts and pop the dish in the oven.
- Bake the porridge for 30 to 35 minutes or until the nuts turn golden-brown.
- Enjoy the porridge by it self or with a dollop of non-dairy yogurt or coconut cream.