When it’s as hot and sticky as it has been in London lately, the last thing you want to do is spend hours hovering over oven and stove top all day (except maybe if you’re a crazy food blogger like me).
This dish is one of those ‘throw everything in a blender and blitz’ kind of recipes. But what it lacks in preparation and cooking time it most definitely does not lack in taste!
The macaroni are tossed in a super quick and easy yet very flavoursome, creamy and cheesy sauce then topped with sourdough bread crumbs, sprinkled with pepper and salt and baked in the oven until crispy and golden.
I’m using sourdough because I’m a German bread-snob and won’t have it any other way. Sorry, not sorry! And trust me, you won’t be sorry either.
Now dig in and devour! When you break through the crispy top layer the creamy macaroni await you!
If you make this recipe at home be sure to tag your photo #myvibrantkitchen on Instagram. I love seeing all your beautiful recreations. And don’t forget to sign up for My Vibrant Kitchen’s newsletter below to get the latest recipes, vegan lifestyle tips and travel diaries straight to your inbox.
- 400 g dried macaroni
- 100 g cashews
- 350 g silken tofu
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp mustard
- ½ lemon, juice of
- ½ tsp salt (or to taste)
- 4 Tbsp sunflower oil
- 150 ml unsweetened soy milk
- 15 g nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 thick slice sourdough bread
- ½ Tbsp sunflower oil
- sprinkle of salt
- sprinkle of pepper
- Soak the cashews for 3 hours or boil them in water for 10 minutes, then drain them.
- Cook the macaroni, drain them and set them aside.
- Place the silken tofu, cashews, garlic cloves, mustard, lemon juice, salt, oil, soy milk, nutritional yeast and turmeric powder in a blender and blitz until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the macaroni in an oven save dish and add the ‘cheese’ sauce and mix well.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180˚C.
- Place the slice of bread in the blender and blitz until you have medium sized crumbs. Add the oil and blend one more time.
- Sprinkle the bread crumbs on top of the macaroni and top with a generous pinch of pepper and salt.
- Pop the dish in the oven for 10 minutes. Enjoy!