Who’s ready for the best damn vegan breakfast? Or more like the best damn breakfast which happens to be vegan too.
Imagine a pie and granola had a baby… the result would be this breakfast crumble, no doubt about it.
Hot fruit, a hint of cinnamon topped with a crispy ‘seeds chopped nuts and oats’ crumble.
And I haven’t mentioned the best part yet. You can throw together the recipe in less than 10 minutes the night before. Just pop it in the oven the next morning and start the day with an indulgent warm breakfast. I like to top mine with some soy or coconut yogurt.
And there’s no need to go food shopping for this recipe either. Just use what’s in your pantry already, the recipe pretty much works with any fruit, nuts, seeds and oats. Mix it up!
Treat yourself this #Veganuary. Sign up for MVK’s newsletter to get the latest recipes, vegan lifestyle tips and travel diaries delivered straight to your inbox.
- 1 banana
- 1 pear
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup raisins
- ½ cm ginger, grated
- 4 Tbsp orange juice
- ½ Tbsp sweetener of choice (for example: maple syrup, caster sugar or agave nectar)
- squeeze of lemon juice
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup oats
- ¼ cup ground almonds
- ¼ cup mixed seeds
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ Tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp sweetener of choice
- ¼ cup cashew nuts, chopped
- Peel the banana and the pear and roughly chop them into pieces. Then peel and grate the ginger.
- Place the fruit and dried fruit, the ginger, the sweetener and the orange juice in a sauce pan and bring the mixture to a boil. Then turn the heat down and stir in a squeeze of lemon or lime juice and cinnamon. Cook for another 5 minutes and stir occasionally to keep the fruit from sticking to the bottom.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180˚C.
- In a mixing bowl combine the oats, ground almonds, seeds, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, sweetener and chopped nuts. The mixture should start sticking together and form small crumbles.
- Pour the hot fruit mixture into a small pie dish, spread it evenly, then top with the crumbles. Pop it in the oven and bake it for 15-20 minutes or until the crumble turns golden-brown. Enjoy!