Happy Friday everyone! I’ve got just the recipe for you to kick off the weekend right:
Vegan chocolate peanut butter cupcakes!
I can’t think of anything better than indulging in a moist and utterly chocolaty chocolate cupcake topped with the most creamy peanut butter icing swirl at the end of a long, busy week. Can you?
Chocolate and peanut butter is one of my all time favourite flavour combinations and this recipe hits just the right note.
It’s sweet but not too sweet, just the right amount of soft and sticky and the creamy peanut butter icing is so moreish, it’ll make you lick your fingers clean so not to waste any.
Trust me, the cupcakes are GOOD!
If you make this recipe at home be sure to tag your photo #myvibrantkitchen on Instagram. I love seeing all your beautiful recreations. And don’t forget to sign up for My Vibrant Kitchen’s newsletter to get the latest recipes, vegan lifestyle tips and travel diaries straight to your inbox.
- 320 g white all purpose flour
- 150 g cocoa powder
- 200 g white caster sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 475 ml coffee
- 180 ml vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100 g dark chocolate
- 100 g margarine
- 200 g smooth peanut butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 250 g icing sugar
- 2-3 Tbsp soy milk
- Pre-heat the oven to 180˚C.
- For the cupcakes freshly brew the coffee and then melt the chocolate over a water bath, also called bain-marie. Set both aside too cool down to room temperature.
- Meanwhile add the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and pinch of salt to a big mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- Fold in the coffee, oil, vinegar, vanilla extract and melted chocolate. Once you have a smooth batter free of lumps, pour or spoon the batter in a cupcake tray lined with cupcake cases. I like using an ice-cream scooper for this.
- Pop the cupcakes in the oven and bake them for about 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let them cool to room temperature before icing them.
- For the icing add the margarine, peanut butter and vanilla extract to a mixing bowl and beat the mixture with an electric whisk until smooth.
- Sift in the icing sugar and keep beating the mixture until smooth and creamy. Add the soy milk one table spoon at a time to loosen up the mixture. Once the icing is ready fill it in a piping bag with the nozzle of choice and ice the cupcakes.