To me chocolate goes really well with a hand full of different ingredients: Orange, chilli, mint, sea salt, banana, peanut butter, ginger and pistachio. But for some reason I tend to stick to the first six and rarely experiment with spicing up my chocolate recipes by adding ginger or pistachios. So in the spirit of adding new colour and flavour combinations to my recipe repertoire I introduce: Vegan Chocolate-Pistachio Mousse!
It’s creamy, it’s chocolaty, it’s nutty and it’s pretty to look at… what else can you ask for in a dessert?
Plus, you can prepare it hours or even the day before, pop it in the fridge and serve whenever you’re ready for dessert.
- 350g Silken Tofu
- 1 cup chopped dark chocolate
- 1 cup chopped pistachios
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- pinch of (sea) salt
- Wrap the silken tofu in a clean tea towel and squeeze out the excess water.
- Place the pistachios in a food processor or blender and blend until you have a creamy nut butter.
- Add half (175g) of the silken Tofu, 1 tsp vanilla extract, ¼ cup maple syrup, ½ Tbsp lemon juice and a pinch of salt to the blender and blend until you have a smooth mousse.
- Scrape the mousse into a bowl and put it aside for now.
- Fill a saucepan half full with water and bring to a boil. Place a heat-proof bowl in the saucepan, add 1 cup of dark chocolate and carefully stir until it's fully melted.
- Blend the other half (175g) of the silken tofu until you have a smooth cream.
- Add the melted chocolate, ¼ cup of maple syrup, ½ Tbsp lemon juice and a pinch of salt and blend well.
- Scrape the chocolate and the pistachio mousse in a glass or jar in layers (see photos) and pop it in the fridge for at least 15 minutes.
- Top with chopped pistachios and chocolate chips or shavings. Enjoy!!