Happy 2016! I hope everyone had a great NYE and some time to relax, revive and refuel after. I’ve stayed in a cottage by the sea with boyfriend and friends and was lucky enough to not have to leave until the 3rd. I feel like my new year usually doesn’t really start until a few days after the 1st (new year’s resolutions & all) because I desperately need time to recover from all the eating and partying. How about you?
Even though I don’t necessarily believe in “Diet” January (Detox-, Juice Cleanse-, Dry-, Sugar-free-, etc.) I understand the urge to get back on track after binging on cookies & mulled wine for 3 weeks straight (maybe that’s just me).
I personally try to follow a balanced vegan diet all year round. I try to get in my dark leaf greens, beans, grains and fruit regularly and indulge in sugary and/or processed vegan food every once in a while. But that’s obviously up to you!
This vegan lentil salad topped with a roasted mix of my favourite root vegetables it really delicious and nutritious at the same time. My boyfriend introduced me to the recipe (he doesn’t call it recipe since he slightly changes it every time) and I wrote down my favourite version.
I love it, my family loves it, my flatmates love it and I’m sure you will too.
I usually eat it hot but you can also pop it in the fridge and enjoy it as a cold lentil salad.
- 3 parsnips
- 3 carrots
- 3 beetroots
- 1 celeriac
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 red onions
- ½ Tbsp salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 3 cups lentils
- 1 Tbsp veg stock
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- Pre-heat the oven on 175˚C.
- Wash the parsnips and carrots and peel the beetroots and celeriac. Then cut all the root vegetables into small finger sized pieces.
- Slice the red onions, cut the garlic cloves into small pieces and remove the rosemary needles from the stems.
- Using one (or two, depending on size) baking sheets, mix the veg, onions, garlic and rosemary with a generous drizzle of olive oil, salt and ground pepper and place it in the oven for 30-40 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook 3 cups of lentils in 6 cups of water or use the instructions on the package.
- When the water starts boiling add 1Tbsp of vegan vegetable stock.
- Turn down the heat and let the lentils simmer for about 25 minutes.
- When the lentils are cooked and tender drain them using a colander. Pour them into a bowl, mix them with 2 Tbsp olive oil and 1 Tbsp of balsamic vinegar and add salt to taste.
- Garnish with the roasted root vegetables and enjoy!