Not long ago we were blessed with the first gloriously sunny week in London. And while I was spendig most of that week outside, walking around Shoredich or pulling up weeds in a community garden, I started craving summer foods like sweet corn, veggie burgers and water melon. And then the other day I couldn’t resist any longer and made one of my summer favourites: Couscous Salad.
This one’s full of colourful veggie goodness, spicy crispy fried tofu cubes and pomegranat seeds to add a little bit of sweetness.
To me this lovely weather screams BBQ season! It’s about time to kick it off.
Yes I’m a vegan who loves BBQs. I skip the steaks and sausages of course, instead I like to grill veggie kebabs, garlic portobello mushrooms and chocolate stuffed bananas. There’s endless possibilites really, no need for meat on the grill.
And then there’s also all the salads and side dishes to devour. This couscous salad is one of my go to foods to bring to BBQs (and picknicks or summer garden parties).
- 2 cups coucous
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- olive oil
- 2 peppers
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 2 courgettes
- 1 block of firm tofu
- ½ cup olives
- ½ cup pomegranat seeds
- 1 red onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- ½ lemon
- chillie flakes
- smoked paprika
- Chop the peppers, slice the courgettes and onion and half the cherry tomatoes.
- Fry the chopped vegetable in 2 Tbsp olive oil and add a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Cut two garlic cloves in small pieces and add them and the olives when the veg is starting to get dark edges and fry for another 3 minutes.
- Set the veg aside and cut the tofu in cubes. Fry the tofu in 1 Tbso olive oil and add one finely chopped garlic clove, a pinch of salt, chillie flakes (optional) and smoked paprika until it's golden brown and crispy.
- Prepare 4 cups of vegetable stock. Using a big serving bowl pour the stock over 2 cups of couscous and stir until the couscous is soft and becomes a slightly creamy texture.
- Now add the juice of half a lemon and ⅓ cup of olive oil.
- Mix in the vegetables and season with pepper, salt and chillie flakes to taste.
- When serving top with the tofu cubes (or mix them in the salad) and sprinkle pomegranat seeds on top. Enjoy!