If you’ve been following My Vibrant Kitchen for a while you might have noticed that I’ve really fallen in love with good buttery flaky pastry lately.
The secret is using a food processor to combine the ingredients when making the dough. Yes, it’s that simple and a great pie crust really does make all the difference.
After making the most of all the juicy fresh summer fruit (remember my peach crumble galette and blueberry basil pie?) I’ve started experimenting with savoury fillings.
And it comes as no surprise that I’m just as obsessed with the savoury versions.
So here’s my latest creation: vegan baby spinach artichoke galette with a rich silken tofu cream, black olives and toasted pine nuts.
If you make this recipe at home be sure to tag your photo #myvibrantkitchen on Instagram. I love seeing all your beautiful recreations. And don’t forget to sign up for My Vibrant Kitchen’s newsletter to get the latest recipes, vegan lifestyle tips and travel diaries straight to your inbox.
- 300 g flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 200 g margarine
- 4 - 5 Tbsp ice water
- 350 g silken tofu
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tsp lemon juice
- ⅓ tsp salt
- Generous pinch black pepper
- 1 handful black olives
- 1 handful baby spinach leaves
- 1 handful pickled artichoke hearts
- Sprinkle of pine nuts
- Pinch of black pepper
- For the galette pastry add half of the flour (150 g) and salt to a food processor and pulse a few times to combine.
- Cut the margarine in cubes and sprinkle them on top of the flour mixture. Blitz until everything starts to come together and forms a soft dough.
- Scrape down the dough from the sides of the food processor and add the remaining flour (150 g). Pulse 4 to 5 times until the mixture starts forming crumbles.
- Transfer the mixture into a mixing bowl, add 4 Tbsp of the ice water and use a spoon to press the mixture into it self until it starts holding together. If it doesn’t hold together add 1 more Tbsp of ice water.
- Now use your hands to carefully knead the dough and form a ball. Don’t over do it, the less you knead it the flakier the galette crust.
- Cover the bowl with a dish towel and place it in the fridge.
- For the filling add the silken tofu, olive oil, garlic cloves, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a blender or food processor and blitz until smooth and creamy.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180˚C.
- Take the dough out of the fridge and roll it out on a floured work surface.
- Transfer the rolled out dough to a baking tray lined with baking paper and scoop the silken tofu cream on top. Spread the cream over the middle, leaving a border of about 2 cm all around the edges.
- Wash the baby spinach and toss them in olive oil, cut the olives and artichoke hearts in slices. Top the cream with the spinach, artichokes, olives and pine nuts then roughly fold up the edges.
- Sprinkle with a pinch of freshly ground black pepper and pop the galette in the oven for 35 - 45 minutes. Enjoy!