I’ve promised you lots more easy and budget friendly recipes on My Vibrant Kitchen and to celebrate the weekend we’re making light and airy crepes with a sweet but zingy lime syrup today.
These French pancakes make the most delicious breakfast or brunch and more importantly they won’t break your wallet!
I know we all love to top our pancakes with golden maple syrup but since that tends to be quite pricy I’ve opted for a super affordable homemade lime syrup. It adds a little twist to the pancakes and is just as moreish. Now all you need is a steaming hot cup of coffee or tea maybe a side of fruit and you’re all set for a long lazy Sunday brunch. Put your legs up, grab a newspaper, or even better your favourite brunch partner in crime, and enjoy!
Here’s the last budget friendly recipe in case you’re interested (I know you are!): Spaghetti Lentil Bolognese.
If you make this recipe at home be sure to tag your photo #myvibrantkitchen on Instagram. I love seeing all your beautiful recreations. And don’t forget to sign up for My Vibrant Kitchen’s newsletter to get the latest recipes, vegan lifestyle tips and travel diaries straight to your inbox.
- 200g flour
- 50g corn flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 300 ml water
- 200 ml soy milk
- 2 Tbsp oil
- Lime syrup:
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 Tbsp water
- 4 Tbsp sugar
- Add the flour, corn flour, baking powder, salt and sugar to a mixing bowl and combine.
- Now add the water, soy milk and oil and whisk until you have a smooth pancake batter. Pop the batter in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- For the syrup add the lime juice, water and sugar to a small saucepan and bring it to a boil on medium heat. Once the mixture is starting to bubble turn down the heat and let it simmer for about 5 minutes. Stir occasional until the syrup starts to thicken. Turn off the heat and let the syrup cool for 10 minutes.
- Take the pancake batter out of the fridge, heat about half a tablespoon of oil in a non-stick pan and pour a small ladle full of batter in the centre of the pan. Swirl the pan to spread the batter evenly and flip the pancake after about 30 seconds. Cook the other side for another 10 seconds then transfer the crepe to a plate. Repeat until you’ve used up the batter.
- To serve drizzle the crepes with the lime syrup and top with fruit and vegan yoghurt if desired. Enjoy!