Happy bonfire night everyone! There’s fireworks lightning up the sky above London just as I’m typing this.
Today’s recipe is rather fitting for the occasion. It’s festive, warming and a real explosion of flavours: Black risotto with a festive twist.
What’s that festive twist you might ask. Well, I’m glad you’re asking!
This risotto is made from black rice and portobello mushrooms, infused with fresh rosemary and a generous splash of red wine and seasoned with a pinch of nutmeg. Once it’s cooked to creamy perfection, you stir in a handful of dried cranberries for a hint of sweetness and another splash of red wine for good measure.
Then you spoon the creamy goodness into small pumpkins and bake them until the edges start to caramelise which makes the risotto flavours unfold beautifully.
Now that I gave you the lowdown on these epic risotto stuffed pumpkins, all there’s left to do is to scroll down to the recipe and start cooking!
Trust me, this one’s a good’n! I think it would also make a rather great Thanksgiving, Hanukkah or Christmas side dish. Just sayin’.
If you make this recipe at home be sure to tag your photo #myvibrantkitchen on Instagram. I love seeing all your beautiful recreations. And don’t forget to sign up for My Vibrant Kitchen’s newsletter to get the latest recipes, vegan lifestyle tips and travel diaries straight to your inbox.
I’m on Twitter now! Hop on over to My Vibrant Kitchen on Twitter and follow me for my latest creations as well as all the ridiculously delicious vegan recipes by my favourite food bloggers.
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary leaves, chopped (chop first, then measure)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 250 g mini portobello mushrooms (or mushrooms of choice)
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 250 g black rice
- 150 ml red wine
- 1.2 l water, boiling
- 1½ Tbsp miso paste
- 2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Splash of red wine to taste
- salt to taste
- 120 g dried cranberries
- Rosemary twig
- 3 - 4 mini pumpkins
- Heat a large skillet or non-stick sauce pan and add 2 Tbsp olive oil. Once the oil is hot add the diced onion and let it sit for a couple of minutes until the onion starts getting soft and translucent. Add the chopped rosemary, minced garlic, sliced mushrooms, pepper, salt and nutmeg. Stir and let it cook for another 2 minutes.
- Then add the black rice, stir and pour in the red wine. Cook for about 4 minutes until the wine is about half absorbed.
- Boil the kettle and add the boiling water to the risotto. Stir well and then let it simmer for 50 to 60 minutes or until the water is absorbed and the rice is fully cooked and creamy.
- Meanwhile slice the tops of your mini pumpkins and scoop out the seeds. Pre-heat the oven to 180˚C.
- Once the risotto is ready add the miso paste, soy sauce and olive oil and season with salt to taste.
- Stir in the cranberries and stuff each pumpkin with the risotto. Place a piece of rosemary twin on each stuffed pumpkin and cover it with the pumpkin tops. Place the pumpkins in a large baking dish and pop them in the oven.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until the pumpkins are tender and the edges start to brown. The baking time might vary depending on the size of your pumpkins.