Temperatures are finally falling well below 10˚C and London is starting to feel rather festive.
Do you know the kind of afternoons when you get those sweet cravings that mean only the most indulgent, gooey, rich chocolaty treat will do? This time of year they seem to hit more regularly than usually.
These festive vegan brownies were made for exactly that purpose. A layer of warm, gooey brownie topped with pecans, cranberries, more chocolate and sticky salted caramel. And as if that wasn’t indulgent enough lets add a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream and another drizzle of salted caramel sauce for good measure.
Make yourself a big mug of steaming hot tea, light a few candles, snuggle up on the sofa and dig in! Cause these festive brownies are absolutely irresistible.
If you make this recipe at home be sure to tag your photo #myvibrantkitchen on Instagram. I love seeing all your beautiful recreations. And don’t forget to sign up for My Vibrant Kitchen’s newsletter to get the latest recipes, vegan lifestyle tips and travel diaries straight to your inbox.
- Caramel sauce:
- 150 g golden caster sugar
- 3 Tbsp water
- 100 g coconut cream (solid part of a can of coconut milk)
- 4 Tbsp soy milk
- 1 Tbsp margarine
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 250 g dairy-free dark chocolate
- 180 g flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 50 g cocoa powder
- 160 g golden caster sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of sea salt
- 250 ml soy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100 g pecans
- 100 g cranberries
- For the caramel sauce add the sugar and water to a small sauce pan and bring it to a boil over medium heat. The mixture will start forming big bubbles and slowly turn colour to a light golden brown. Caramel can burn rather easily so don’t stir it to avoid burning, in fact don’t touch it at all while it’s bubbling.
- Turn down the heat and add the coconut cream, soy milk and margarine and whisk to combine. Bring the caramel back to a boil and boil on low heat for another 3 minutes. Once the mixture has thickened and coats the back of a spoon take it off the heat, stir in the salt and set it aside.
- For the brownies melt 200 g of the chocolate in a heat proof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180˚C.
- Meanwhile add the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, sugar, cinnamon and salt to a big mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- Stir in the soy milk, sunflower oil, vanilla extract and melted chocolate. Scoop the batter into a lined baking tray and spread it out evenly. Chop the remaining chocolate and the pecans into pieces and sprinkle them and the cranberries on top of the brownie batter.
- Drizzle half of the caramel sauce on top and pop the brownies in the oven for 25-30 minutes until cooked on the outside but still gooey on the inside.
- Let the brownies cool for 5 minutes then cut into squares and serve with dairy-free vanilla ice cream and the remaining salted caramel sauce. Enjoy!