London has been spoiling us with lovely spring weather lately (rather unexpectedly if you ask me) and I’m loving every single second of it. The mild breeze and sunshine has put me into a much sunnier mindset and I’m longing for the summer months already. Since it’s only February and I know I have to be patient for quite a while longer, I’ve started mixing things up in the kitchen, sneaking in a few summery recipes here and there.
Today’s vegan grapefruit drizzle cake is the first sign of spring on the blog. You’ll find many more dotted between all the steaming soups and winter warmers in the next couple of weeks. Times they are changin’.
This cake is an exciting twist on the much loved lemon drizzle and is packed with zezty flavour. There’s grapefruit zest and juice in the sponge, grapefruit syrup drizzled on top when it’s still steaming hot and finished off with a juicy glaze. Olive oil adds another delicious hint of flavour and compliments the citrus fruitiness rather beautifully. I recommend using dark olive oil which is stronger in flavour.
A little side note: I finally made the switch from cup measurements to grams and millilitres. I initially chose cups because they’re super easy to use but realised there was a lot of confusion about American and British cups and in the end grams are more accurate than cups as well. I hope you guys understand.
If you make this recipe at home be sure to tag your photo #myvibrantkitchen. I love seeing all your beautiful recreations. And don’t forget to sign up for My Vibrant Kitchen’s newsletter below to get the latest recipes, vegan lifestyle tips and travel diaries straight to your inbox.
- 300g flour
- 175g sugar + 4 Tbsp for syrup, levelled
- 2 tsp baking powder, levelled
- 150ml dark olive oil
- 100ml water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 grapefruits (unwaxed since juice & zest is needed)
- 4 Tbsp icing sugar, levelled
- Pre-heat the oven to 180˚C.
- In a big mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar and baking powder.
- First zest, then juice the grapefruit. Add the olive oil, water, vanilla extract, grapefruit zest and half the grapefruit juice. When the batter is well combined pour it in a greased baking tin, pop it in the oven and bake the cake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- For the syrup bring the other half of the grapefruit juice (save 2 tsp for the glaze!) and 4 Tbsp of sugar to a boil in a small saucepan. When the liquid starts to thicken take it off the heat and drizzle it over the hot cake when it's still in the baking tin. Focus on the crack in the middle of the cake and use the toothpick to poke a few holes into the crust so the syrup can seep into the cake.
- Once the cake has cooled down, carefully remove it from the tin and start preparing the glaze.
- Mix the last 2 tsp of grapefruit juice with 4 Tbsp icing sugar and stir until you have a smooth, thick consistency. Drizzle and spread the icing on top of the cake. Let it set for 15 minutes and enjoy!