I’m in Germany for a weeklong festival in my hometown at the moment and the weather couldn’t be more glorious. Blue skied hot sticky summer days, just what I needed to get my juices flowing in the kitchen.
Creamy coconut meets refreshingly zesty lime in a pie, the ideal summer dessert.
And since no one likes spending hours hovering over oven and stove top when it’s this sunny outside, I made sure the recipe is as simple and quick as they come!
Minimal ingredients, time and effort but full of flavour.
If you make this recipe at home be sure to tag your photo #myvibrantkitchen on Instagram. I love seeing all your beautiful recreations. And don’t forget to sign up for My Vibrant Kitchen’s newsletter below to get the latest recipes, vegan lifestyle tips and travel diaries straight to your inbox.
- 150 g dates
- 100 g cashews
- 75 g oats
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 2 cans coconut milk (800 ml)
- 100g corn flour
- 200 g sugar
- 3 limes (juice & zest)
- For the base place the dates, cashews, oats, melted coconut oil, vanilla extract and salt in a blender or food processor and blitz until you have a crumbly sticky dough.
- Grease a cake tin or pie dish and press the dough firmly into the dish and work your way up the sides. I very much recommend using one with a removable bottom for easier removing after.
- Pop the dish in the fridge and move on to the filling.
- Zest and juice the limes and set them aside.
- Pour the coconut milk in a sauce pan and about a cup of it in a small bowl. Add the corn flour to the coconut milk in the small bowl and mix it with a whisk until you have a smooth, thick cream.
- Bring the coconut milk in the sauce pan to a boil and slowly pour in the coconut-cornflour mixture. Whist vigorously while doing so to avoid lumps from forming. Turn down the heat, add the sugar and keep whisking.
- When the filling starts thickening add the lime zest and juice and continue whisking.
- Take the pie base out of the fridge and pour the filling into the base.
- Pop it back in the fridge and let it set for at least 3 hours.