As I mentioned earlier this week, I’m on quite the soup trip lately. I just can’t get enough of that warming, flavoursome, thick brew. And since there’s a vast variety of different soup styles and types to choose from, I can’t see why you shouldn’t eat it all day every day. Especially during the coldest month of the year.
If you’re a soup enthusiast like me you might also want to check out this purple cream of mushroom soup and the spicy lemongrass infused ginger coconut soup with crispy tofu. Yum! Two delicious brews that show how diverse it can get.
Today I’m sharing just the thing you need if you’re curled up in a blanket on the sofa with a nasty cold. Yes, happens to the best of us. It’s wicket cold outside at the moment (at least in London, you might be sunbathing somewhere at the beach for all I know! Lucky you.) and the sniffles don’t seem to spare anyone at this time of year. This vegan minestrone is thick and creamy and incredibly comforting but don’t get me wrong it makes a delicious meal no matter what state you’re in!
If you make this recipe at home be sure to tag your photo #myvibrantkitchen. I love seeing all your beautiful recreations. And don’t forget to sign up for My Vibrant Kitchen’s newsletter below to get the latest recipes, vegan lifestyle tips and travel diaries straight to your inbox.
- 5 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 bell pepper
- 2 large flat mushrooms
- 3 leaves Cavolo Nero cabbage
- 5 brussel sprouts
- 1-2 small chilli peppers
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 3 stock cubes (32g each)
- ½ cup macaroni, dry
- juice of ½ lime
- Dice the onions. Warm a big saucepan and add 2 Tbsp olive oil. Once the oil is hot add the onions and fry them until translucent.
- Meanwhile finely dice the garlic cloves and roughly chop the bell pepper, mushrooms, cabbage and half the brussel sprouts.
- Add the garlic, bell peppers and brussel sprouts to the saucepan and fry for a couple more minutes.
- Add 3 more Tbsp olive oil, the can of chopped tomatoes, mushrooms, cabbage, sliced chilli pepper(s), basil, thyme, oregano and maple syrup. Fry and stir until the vegetables are starting to soften.
- Add 6 cups of boiling water and 3 stock cubes.
- When the tomato broth is boiling add the macaroni and let it boil until the pasta is soft.
- Turn off the heat and add the lime juice. Enjoy!