The other day I was walking through the streets of London when it started pouring down. Even though I’ve been living in this rain-prone country for well over a year I can never remember to pack an umbrella when leaving the house. So I ran down the street and into the nearest supermarket to seek shelter. I’d already done my grocery shopping the day before so I wasn’t really looking for anything specific.
I was just walking up and down the aisles waiting for the rain to stop when suddenly: MULLED WINE! It’s mid December, cold, rainy, I’m soaked from head to toes and didn’t have any plans for the evening. So naturally mulled wine felt like the best idea in the entire world!
At home I changed into comfy, dry clothes, turned on the TV and poured myself a big mug (or two) of steaming hot mulled wine. I was in heaven!
The only thing that could possibly make the evening any better was food. Sweet, hot comfort food to be specific. The cravings were real. And impossible to ignore.
So I whisked together a muffin batter at 11:30 at night running on nothing but mulled wine (which obviously ended up in the batter too).
The muffins are best enjoyed hot, straight out of the oven. But they also made a great breakfast muffin the next morning.
- 3 cups wholemeal flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 ½ cups mulled wine
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips (or chopped chocolate)
- zest of 1 organic orange
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 3 Tbsp mulled wine
- Preheat the oven to 190˚ Celsius.
- Place the flour, baking powder and sugar in a bowl and mix.
- Add the mulled wine, the vegetable oil and vinegar and stir until you get a well combined, smooth batter.
- Lastly add the chocolate and the orange zest and mix again.
- Pour the batter in muffin cases or wraps on a muffin tray and pop them in the oven. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- For the icing sift the icing sugar and stir in the mulled wine until you get a smooth icing mixture.
- Pour on the muffins and they're ready to be devoured!