Happy Friday! We almost made it through the first week of 2017. For thousands of people around the world this means it’s been almost one week of embracing the vegan lifestyle. #Veganuary #fuckyeah
When I went vegan just over 2 years ago it took me a while to realise that I didn’t have to miss out on any food I loved before I made the transition.
There’s a delicious vegan alternative for almost anything, the sooner you find out the better. The internet is a vegan’s best friend – Pinterest & Finding Vegan are my go-to recipe inspirations. If you haven’t checked them out yet, do it now!
And since pizza makes almost everyone’s favourites list (vegans & non-vegans alike!) I thought I’d kick off the weekend with a delicious loaded vegan pizza recipe. It’s packed with rich basil-cashew pesto and loads of fresh green veg. No cheese needed!
So full of flavour! My man and I demolished the pizza quicker than you could ask ‘Can I have a slice’.
I love Jamie Oliver’s pizza dough recipe but you can also use store-bought pizza dough or a pizza base, they’re usually vegan, too.
If you make this recipe at home be sure to tag your photo #myvibrantkitchen. I love seeing all your beautiful recreations. And don’t forget to sign up for My Vibrant Kitchen’s newsletter below to get the latest recipes, vegan lifestyle tips and travel diaries straight to your inbox.
- 1 pizza base (home-made or store-bought)
- ⅓ cup cashew nuts
- 2 big garlic cloves
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 handful fresh basil leaves
- 1 handful fresh kale
- 4 brussels sprouts
- ⅓ of a courgette
- ⅓ of a broccoli
- drizzle olive oil
- squeeze of lime
- pinch of ground black pepper
- In a blender, combine the cashew nuts, garlic cloves, olive oil and salt. Blend until the mixture is still slightly crumbly but well combined. Then add the basil leaves and blitz until it looks like pesto.
- Wash the vegetables and roughly chop the brussels sprouts and broccoli. Thinly slice the courgette, I used a vegetable slicer and remove the tough kale stems.
- Place the vegetables in a mixing bowl, drizzle with olive oil and massage the oil into the veg.
- Roll out the pizza dough and thickly cover with pesto. Add the vegetables on top, be generous since the veg will shrink in the oven. Season with ground black pepper and pop it in the pre-heated oven. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes at 180˚C or until the crust turns golden brown.