Vegan pumpkin zesty orange & crushed black pepper cake with cardamom cheesecake topping. It’s a mouthful, I know. And yes, literally, too, and a bloody delicious one at that.
I just had to include everything in the title! This cake is an explosion of flavours and deserves a kick-ass name.
It’s fruity (you know… in a pumpkin-y way), it’s zesty, it’s peppery and it’s very orange. AND it comes with a creamy, baked cardamom cheesecake topping.
Sounds like an intense flavour combo you might think. And yes, it’s crazy but not overwhelmingly so.
Intrigued? It’s hard to resist this one.
The cake’s the perfect addition to a crisp autumn afternoon. So make yourself a cup of tea and bake up a pumpkin-y storm.
- 1½ cups soft light brown sugar
- 1 cup sunflower oil
- 3 Tbsp ground flax seeds
- 6 Tbsp water
- juice of ½ orange
- zest of 1 orange
- 3 cups white all purpous flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1½ cups pumpkin puree, can or home-made
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp crushed black pepper
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cup cashews, soaked or boiled
- ½ cup non-dairy milk
- 2 Tbsp white sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 3 tsp ground cardamom
- For this recipe you need 1½ cups pumpkin puree. You can buy a can or buy a pumpkin (choose one suitable for baking) and make the puree at home.
- I used half of a Kabocha Squash, cut it in pieces, roasted it in the oven until the flesh was soft and a knife cut through it easily. Then I removed the tough pumpkin skin and using a potato masher, I mashed the pumpkin flesh until I had a smooth puree.
- To make the flax-eggs, mix the ground flaxseeds with water and stir until it starts to gelify.
- Whisk together the sugar and oil in a big mixing bowl.
- Zest an organic and unwaxed orange using a grater or citrus zester and add the zest to the mixing bowl. Then stir in the juice of half of the orange.
- Add the flour and baking soda and fold it in the batter.
- Now mix in the pumpkin puree, cinnamon, black pepper and vanilla extract.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180˚C.
- For the cheesecake layer add the cashews (soaked overnight or boiled for 10 minutes) to a high speed blender of food processor, add the milk, sugar, vanilla extract, lemon juice and ground cardamom and blitz until you have a smooth, creamy texture.
- Grease a cake tin and pour/scrape in the pumpkin cake batter and then the cheesecake mixture on top.
- Pop it in the oven and bake for 1 hour or until a knife comes out clean.