Mhm, yes you heard read right! Fudgy chocolate cookies with a salted caramel centre that oozes out when you take the first bite. And they’re vegan, too!
‘Fuck yeah’ is all you will be able to think when you get to the sticky caramel centre. So. Damn. Good.
Hidden away in a pretty box and some festive fabric the cookies make a great homemade Christmas present.
They’re also the perfect addition to any festive coffee table. Try dipping a cookie in hot milky tea on a cold winter evening preferably on the sofa with a good book. Sounds good, no?
Have a great weekend guys! Filled with Christmas tunes and a fresh batch of hot fudgy cookies perhaps?
- Cookie dough:
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp white flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup margarine
- ¾ cup soft light brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 5 Tbsp water
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Caramel filling:
- 2 Tbsp + 2 tsp margarine
- 1½ Tbsp white flour
- 1 Tbsp water
- 6 Tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp blackstrap molasses
- 3 Tbsp coconut cream
- Mix together 2 Tbsp ground flaxseeds and 5 Tbsp water and set it aside to 'gelify'.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, cocoa and salt.
- Add the margarine and vanilla extract and combine the mixture using a fork. Dust your hands with flour and knead the dough until well combined. Then form a ball and pop the bowl in the fridge.
- Melt the margarine in a sauce pan on medium heat, add the flour and stir it into the melted margarine.
- Add the water, sugar and black strap molasses and turn up the heat and stir until the mixture forms bubbles.
- Stir in the coconut cream then turn down the heat again and stir for another 5 minutes.
- Set the mixture aside to cool.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Take the cookie dough out of the fridge and form 8 balls (approx. 4 cm diameter) by rolling bits of the dough between your hands.
- Place the dough balls on the baking tray and push a indentation in each ball using your thumb.
- Use a teaspoon to generously fill the indentations with caramel. Sprinkle with sea salt flakes and then form smaller dough balls, flatten between your fingers and place on top of the caramel. Press down the dough until the caramel is fully covered and it looks like a cookie.
- Pop the cookies in the pre-heated oven and bake at 180˚C for 12 to 15 minutes or until the cookie tops start getting cracks.