In my house weekends call for stacks of pancakes. Blueberry pancakes, chocolate chip pancakes, gingerbread pancakes, you name it.
But since my partner in crime has a much smaller sweet tooth than me I was playing around in the kitchen and whipped up a savoury pancake batter. And they turned out great!
This brand new creation combines spinach, a hint of garlic, white pepper and chia seeds. Once the pancakes are crispy and golden brown, they’re topped with a tahini and lemon drizzle.
I enjoyed mine in the sun, post workout, with a large mug of iced coffee. Pure bliss.
- 1 ½ cups of plain white flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 ½ cup plant-based milk
- ½ cup olive oil (or vegetable oil)
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 garlic clove
- 4 hand-full fresh spinach
- 2 Tbsp tahini
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp water
- In a bowl mix the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and white pepper.
- Chop the garlic clove in small pieces.
- Then add the plant-based milk, oil, chia seed and garlic clove and mix until well combined.
- Tear or chop the spinach into smaller pieces and add them to the batter.
- Heat a pan on the stove, add a splash or oil and fry the pancakes until golden brown and crispy.
- Meanwhile mix the tahini, lemon juice and water until you have a smooth sauce and drizzle on top of the pancakes.