I’ve got a rather fun recipe for you today! A vegan rainbow spiral vegetable tart in a flakey pie crust, filled with a fresh basil and sun-dried tomato cream.
It’s creamy, full of flavour, nutritious and high in protein, too. This baby’s got it going on!
And I think it would make a rather beautiful and colourful addition to your next supper party, perhaps even in the garden if the weather allows.
In fact, this tart feels like the perfect way to ring in the warmer months!
If you make this recipe at home be sure to tag your photo #myvibrantkitchen on Instagram. I love seeing all your beautiful recreations. And don’t forget to sign up for My Vibrant Kitchen’s newsletter to get the latest recipes, vegan lifestyle tips and travel diaries straight to your inbox.
- 150 g flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 100 g margarine
- 2-3 Tbsp ice water
- 350 g extra firm silken tofu
- 4 garlic cloves
- 150 g sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp oil (I used the oil from the sun-dried tomato jar)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp non-dairy milk
- 1 handful basil leaves
- 1 courgette
- 1 aubergine
- 1 carrot
- Pinch of pepper & salt
- For the tart crust add half of the flour and the salt to a food processor and pulse a few times to combine.
- Cut the margarine in cubes and sprinkle them on top of the flour mixture. Blitz until everything starts to come together and forms a soft dough.
- Scrape down the dough from the sides of the food processor and add the remaining flour. Pulse 4 to 5 times until the mixture starts forming crumbles.
- Transfer the mixture into a mixing bowl, add 2 Tbsp of the ice water and use a wooden spoon to press the mixture into it self until it starts holding together. If it doesn’t hold together add 1 more Tbsp of ice water.
- Now use your hands to carefully knead the dough and form a ball. Don’t over do it, the less you knead it the flakier the pie crust.
- You can make the dough by hand in a big mixing bowl combining the mixture with a fork and your fingers.
- Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and place it in the fridge.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180˚C.
- Take the dough out of the fridge and roll it out on a floured work surface. Transfer the rolled out dough onto a greased tart dish and carefully push it down and work it up the sides. Line it with baking paper, fill it with dried pulses or baking beans and blind bake it for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile to make the sun-dried tomato cream, add the silken tofu, garlic cloves, sun dried tomatoes, oil, salt, lemon juice and non-dairy milk to the blender and blitz until smooth and creamy. Add the basil leaves and pulse for a couple of seconds until combined.
- Use a peeler to shave long thin strips of the courgette, aubergine and carrot. Brush the vegetable slices with oil and sprinkle with pepper and salt.
- Once you’ve taken the pie crust out of the oven, spread the sun-dried tomato cream in the bottom of the crust and arrange the vegetable slices in circles working your way from the rim inside. You can alternate the vegetables to create rings of different colours.
- Pop the tart in the oven and bake for about 1 hour until the vegetables are fully cooked. Use a sharp knife for cutting the tart into slices since the vegetable strips can make the cutting a bit messy. Enjoy!