Are you ready for the ultimate cold weather comfort drink?!
Cause this. is. it.
First off it has to be hot chocolate, obviously. But not just any boring old hot chocolate, oh no, this is the most creamy, warming, gently spiced hot chocolate. And what’s even better? It’s topped with homemade toasted marshmallow fluff, all vegan of course.
Ok, ok, so I admit there’s nothing wrong with a cup of your classic old school hot cocoa… This time of year I practically live off of them. This one just happens to be way more exciting!
And in my humble opinion, it would win the battle of the brews anytime. I mean, look at it, there’s no competition!
If you make this I highly recommend getting some festive cookies or biscuits for dipping.
These one’s will do just fine: salted chocolate chip and rosemary cookies or chai spiced shortbread with chocolate ganache and salted pistachios.
Go on, dip in a biscuit and take a sip! I know you can’t wait much longer.
If you make this recipe at home be sure to tag your photo #myvibrantkitchen on Instagram. I love seeing all your beautiful recreations. And don’t forget to sign up for My Vibrant Kitchen’s newsletter to get the latest recipes, vegan lifestyle tips and travel diaries straight to your inbox.
- Hot chocolate:
- 500 ml Soy milk (or favourite non-dairy milk)
- 70 - 120 g Dairy free dark chocolate
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Marshmallow fluff:
- 120 ml aquafaba (chickpea water)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- 60 g icing sugar
- For the marshmallow fluff add the aquafaba, vanilla extract and xanthin gum to a mixing bowl and use a handheld mixer to whip on high for 2-3 minutes until the mixture turns fluffy and frothy. Now slowly add the icing sugar and whip for another 2-3 minutes until the mixture becomes thick and glossy just like marshmallow fluff. Set aside.
- Roughly chop the chocolate into pieces. I like my hot chocolate very rich and creamy! For a slightly lighter version start with 70g and add more to taste.
- Bring the soy milk to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat. Once the milk starts bubbling take the saucepan off the heat and add the chopped chocolate, salt, nutmeg and vanilla extract and whisk until the chocolate is fully melted and you have a smooth creamy consistency.
- Pour the hot chocolate into 2 cups and top with a generous scoop of marshmallow fluff.
- If you have a kitchen blowtorch, carefully torch the marshmallow fluff until it caramelises and turns golden brown. Enjoy!