Well, howdy! Happy 1st of November, y’all! I reckon I made a promise to share a heap of autumnal recipes this season…
Now don’t y’all fret none, there are more pumpkin recipes than you can shake a stick at comin’ your way this month.
But hold onto your hats ’cause guess what?! I found a nifty and simple method to whip up some mighty fine vegan ‘cheese’.
When I started experimenting with baking cashew cheese, I was just about jumping out of my boots to share it with all y’all.
But I had to keep my lips zipped and wait for a tad longer while I was fixin’ and perfecting the texture and taste.
It turned out to be just peachy, with great texture, deliciousness and perfectly sliceable. And let me tell you something else – it melts in your mouth like butter on hot cornbread.
The nutritional yeast adds an extra cheesy touch to the ‘cheese’, but that’s optional.
The recipe is still finger-licking-good without it as well. So don’t you worry if you can’t get your hands on any yeast flakes, just skip ’em.
Baked Herbed Cashew Cheese Recipe
- 1 ½ cups cashews, soaked
- ½ cup water
- 3 garlic cloves
- juice of 1 lemon
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup olive oil
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh sage, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh oregano, chopped
- Soak the cashews overnight or boil them in water on the hob for 10 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 190˚C.
- Drain the cashews and add them to a high-speed blender or food processor.
- Peel the garlic cloves and juice the lemon and add both to the blender.
- Add water, salt, olive oil and nutritional yeast and blend until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Destem the herbs, add them to the blender and pulse until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into an oven-save dish lined with baking paper and pop it in the oven.
- Bake it for 40 minutes, then let it set in the fridge for 1 hour before slicing. Enjoy!
If you enjoyed my recipes so far, I have some more tantalising vegan creations for you to try.
You might want to check out my Vegan Heirloom Tomato Galette With Thyme Cream Cheese recipe. This savoury galette is packed with fresh heirloom tomatoes and a deliciously tangy thyme cream cheese.
If you’re in the mood for something hearty, give my Vegan Cherry Tomato & Baby Spinach Quiche recipe a go. It’s filled with juicy cherry tomatoes and nutrient-rich baby spinach.
For those with a sweet tooth, don’t miss out on my Vegan Caramelised Fig & Walnut Cashew Cream Cheese Bites recipe, these little bites are the perfect blend of sweetness and crunchiness!
Lastly, if you’re looking for a refreshing meal option, make sure you try my Vegan Pesto Pasta Salad With Roasted Cherry Tomatoes And Chickpeas recipe. It’s full of vibrant flavors that will leave your taste buds wanting more!