Well, bless your heart, I reckon y’all noticed that every dern thing I’m postin’ right now is fall-inspired through and through! I just can’t help myself.
Even so, don’t expect me to quit usin’ all them delightful spices until… oh, let’s say at least when the new year rolls ’round.
Just last week we were knee-deep in everything pumpkin spice (don’t fret none, there’s plenty more a-comin’), today we’re takin’ a dip into the cozy world of chai:
We got some delicate yet rich chai spiced shortbread cookies, topped off with a generous drizzle of creamy chocolate ganache and finished with crushed salted & toasted pistachios.
The blend of flavors and textures does nothing but compliment each other. If y’all been keepin’ track of my shenanigans for a spell you know I got a soft spot for sweets with a dab of salt – this here treat ain’t no different.
If you whip up this recipe at home make sure to tag your snapshot #myvibrantkitchen on Instagram. It just tickles me pink to see all your wonderful recreations. And remember now, be certain to subscribe to My Vibrant Kitchen’s newsletter so you can get the freshest recipes, vegan lifestyle guidance and travel tales sent straight to your inbox.
Vegan Chai Spiced Shortbread With Chocolate Ganache & Salted Pistachios Recipe
– Prep time: 30 mins
– Cook time: 40 mins
– Total time: 1 hour 10 mins
– Serves: 20 cookies
– 300 g flour
– 75 g corn flour
– 265 g margarine
– 125 g sugar
– 4 bags of black tea (8 g loose tea)
– 3 tsp ground cardamon
– 2 tsp ground cinnamon
– ½ tsp ground nutmeg
– 1½ tsp ground ginger
– ¼ tsp ground cloves
– ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
– Pinch of salt
– 100 ml coconut milk
– 150 g dark chocolate
– 1 handful of roasted salted pistachios
1. In a mixing bowl beat the margarine and sugar with a hand mixer until smooth and well combined.
2. Add the flour, corn flour, black tea, cardamon, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, black pepper and salt and combine using a fork.
3. Once the dough is coming together tip it onto a floured working surface and gently roll it out until just under 1 cm thick. It’s important not to overwork the dough since it can toughen the dough.
4. Use your cookie cutters of choice to cut out shortbread cookies and place them on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Depending on the size of you’re cookies and baking trays you might have to use 2 to 3 trays.
5. Pop the unbaked shortbread cookies in the fridge for 20 minutes and pre-heat the oven to 150˚C (fan oven).
6. Bake the shortbread cookies for 35 – 40 minutes, then let them cool on a cooling rack.
7. For the chocolate ganache bring the coconut milk to a boil in a small sauce pan. Once it starts bubbling take it off the heat and add the chopped dark chocolate. Let it sit for 1 minute then stir until the chocolate is fully melted.
8. Crush or chop the pistachios – mine were already roasted and salted, if yours aren’t then toast them in a pan on the hop first and generously sprinkle with salt.
9. Drizzle the chocolate ganache onto the shortbread cookies or better still just dip the entire cookies into the ganache and sprinkle with the crushed pistachios.
Beyond my love for these simple yet flavorful recipes, I’ve also explored other unique dessert options that you might love to try. One of these is my Vegan Kaiserschmarrn: Austrian Torn Pancakes With Baked Pears & Blackberries recipe.
For those who have a thing for pies, there’s my Vegan Salted Caramel Chocolate Mousse Pie recipe – a true delight with its creamy caramel-chocolate filling.
And if you prefer something fruity and light, do give my Vegan Peach Crumble Galette recipe a go. It’s a tangy, sweet explosion of flavors that is perfectly refreshing.
Lastly, if you’re into pleasing your sweet tooth with something really indulgent but healthy at the same time, then my Chocolate Salted Caramel Chia Pudding recipe should be on your must-try list! I promise they’re all worth the effort!