I know, I know… Everything I’m posting at the moment is so damn autumnal! I just can’t help myself.
Having said that, I have no intention to stop using all those wonderful spices until… lets say at least January.
Last week we’ve been exploring everything pumpkin spice (don’t you worry, there’s more to come soon!), today we’re diving into the warming world of chai:
Crumbly yet buttery chai spiced shortbread cookies topped with a generous drizzle of creamy chocolate ganache and crushed salted & toasted pistachios.
The different flavours and textures compliment each other rather beautifully. If you’re been following me for a while you know I’m a sucker for sweet treats with a pinch of salt and of course this one’s no exception.
If you make this recipe at home be sure to tag your photo #myvibrantkitchen on Instagram. I love seeing all your beautiful recreations. And don’t forget to sign up for My Vibrant Kitchen’s newsletter to get the latest recipes, vegan lifestyle tips and travel diaries straight to your inbox.
- 300 g flour
- 75 g corn flour
- 265 g margarine
- 125 g sugar
- 4 bags of black tea (8 g loose tea)
- 3 tsp ground cardamon
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Chocolate ganache:
- 100 ml coconut milk
- 150 g dark chocolate
- 1 handful of roasted salted pistachios
- In a mixing bowl beat the margarine and sugar with a hand mixer until smooth and well combined.
- Add the flour, corn flour, black tea, cardamon, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, black pepper and salt and combine using a fork.
- Once the dough is coming together tip it onto a floured working surface and gently roll it out until just under 1 cm thick. It’s important not to overwork the dough since it can toughen the dough.
- Use your cookie cutters of choice to cut out shortbread cookies and place them on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Depending on the size of you’re cookies and baking trays you might have to use 2 to 3 trays.
- Pop the unbaked shortbread cookies in the fridge for 20 minutes and pre-heat the oven to 150˚C (fan oven).
- Bake the shortbread cookies for 35 - 40 minutes, then let them cool on a cooling rack.
- For the chocolate ganache bring the coconut milk to a boil in a small sauce pan. Once it starts bubbling take it off the heat and add the chopped dark chocolate. Let it sit for 1 minute then stir until the chocolate is fully melted.
- Crush or chop the pistachios - mine were already roasted and salted, if yours aren’t then toast them in a pan on the hop first and generously sprinkle with salt.
- Drizzle the chocolate ganache onto the shortbread cookies or better still just dip the entire cookies into the ganache and sprinkle with the crushed pistachios.