Y’all, I sure do got a hankerin’ for nachos with cheesy dip!
Ain’t nuthin’ better than enjoyin’ ’em at the picture show, havin’ ’em at the tavern and I reckon they were my savin’ grace during those late night cram sessions in college.
When I turned vegan, my nacho fixation came to a screeching halt since nachos with salsa or guacamole just didn’t satisfy me.
Don’t take that wrong, y’all. I’m quite fond of guacamole but I prefer my nachos smothered in cheesy sauce.
Then the other week, I couldn’t ignore that old craving no more, bought myself a bag of them tortilla chips and started lookin’ up vegan cheese recipes.
Some of ’em were decent but others… well they weren’t much to write home about (one tasted like scrambled eggs if you can believe it!).
Suddenly though (mostly by pure luck) I came up with this doozy!
This here vegan cheesy nacho sauce is smooth as silk, got a bit of spice to it and melts right on your tongue!
And would you believe it’s simple as pie to make? And get this – it’s good for ya too.
You’ll find all the ingredients at your local grocer maybe except for this thing called nutritional yeast. I usually get this one here.
It’s handy to have around in your kitchen when you need to add a little extra savory-cheesy flavor to your vegan dishes. I use mine for rice dishes like risotto, faux parmesan cheese, pestos and whatnot.
This recipe makes a family-size helpin’ of vegan cheesy sauce, so cut down on the quantities if you’re just lookin’ for something closer to snack size serving.
Healthy Vegan Cheesy Nacho Sauce Recipe
- 2 cups of finely chopped peeled potatoes
- 1 cup sliced peeled carrots
- 1 cup sliced onions
- 1 cup water of boiled vegetables
- 1 cup cashews
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 ½ Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp turmeric
- Bring water to a boil in a saucepan, add the potatoes, carrots, and onions and cook for about 10 minutes or until tender.
- Cook the cashew nuts for about 5 minutes until they are soft and easily squish-able with a fork and then drain them.
- Place the nuts, coconut milk, 1 cup of water from the boiled vegetables, nutritional yeast flakes, lemon juice, salt, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and turmeric in a high-speed blender and blend until well combined.
- Drain the vegetables and add them to the mixture. Blend on high-speed until you have a smooth and creamy, cheese-sauce-like texture.
- Pour it over nachos immediately to enjoy the sauce warm or place in the fridge until needed.
If you enjoyed the smooth, naturally-sweet flavors of my Vegan Blueberry Banana Breakfast Smoothie recipe, I have other breakfast treats that you will absolutely love.
For a savory twist on your morning routine, give my Vegan Cashew Cream Cheese With Chives recipe a try. It’s creamy, tangy and pairs beautifully with toasted bagels or fresh veggies.
And if pancakes are more your style, you’ll fall head over heels for my Vegan Fluffy Blueberry Pancakes With Banana Ice Cream recipe. They’re light, fluffy and topped with creamy banana ice cream for a vegan dream come true.
Lastly, brighten up your toasts or desserts with the zesty sweetness of my Kiwi & Lime Jam recipe. Each one is a vegan delight that promises to make every morning better!