It’s the weekend!! And I’ve got the ultimate addition to tomorrows long lazy breakfast affair.
You know, one of those that call for great company and long chats over bottomless cups of milky coffee.
This, my friends, is the best damn vegan tofu scrambled eggs you’ve ever set your eyes on (or your taste buds in this case)! Complete with fried tomatoes, baby spinach, mushrooms and fresh sourdough bread. Trust me, it’ll be the star of said breakfast affair.
This recipe makes four generous portions, Sunday breakfast tastes better with good company after all.
Or if you’re particularly hungry or you simply enjoy a big breakfast you can snack on for hours (no judgement here, I’ve been there many times!) then you might want to divide this satisfyingly savoury scramble onto only two big plates instead of four.
If you make this recipe at home be sure to tag your photo #myvibrantkitchen on Instagram. I love seeing all your beautiful recreations. And don’t forget to sign up for My Vibrant Kitchen’s newsletter to get the latest recipes, vegan lifestyle tips and travel diaries straight to your inbox.
I’m on Twitter now! Hop on over to My Vibrant Kitchen on Twitter and follow me for my latest creations as well as all the ridiculously delicious vegan recipes by my favourite food bloggers.
- 700 g extra firm silken tofu (I used two 350 g packages)
- 2 Tbsp dairy free margarine
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ onion
- ¼ tsp cumin powder
- 125 g mushrooms
- 2 tomatoes
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper (more to taste)
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 handful fresh baby spinach
- 1 tsp black salt (kala nimak) (more to taste)
- Mince the garlic cloves, dice the onion and tomato and cut the mushrooms into slices.
- Then add the margarine to a big frying pan over medium heat. Once the margarine has melted add the garlic cloves and onion and fry until the onion is starting to turn translucent. If the garlic starts to turn brown or burn, turn down the heat.
- Add the cumin powder, mushrooms and tomatoes and fry for another two to three minutes or until cooked.
- Meanwhile drain the silken tofu and add it to the frying pan. Use a wooden spoon to break the blocks into smaller pieces. Stir in the turmeric, black pepper, nutritional yeast flakes, black salt and spinach.
- You want the tofu to resemble scrambled eggs with smaller and bigger chunks of tofu (see photos).
- Let it fry for another two minutes and add more pepper and black salt to taste.
- Serve the tofu scramble straight away, preferably with fresh sourdough bread. Enjoy!