Happy February, y’all! I sure hope each and every one of you who took part had a good ol’ time with Veganuary. Maybe it even sparked your interest to keep on movin’ forward into February with it. Now, don’t matter if you’re still on the vegan train or not, today I’m sharin’ an absolutely mouthwatering vegan apple rhubarb pie recipe that you’re bound to adore.
This here dessert is a delectable dance of sweet and sour. Imagine a crumbly pie crust filled to the brim with crisp apples and tart rhubarb, all wrapped up in a smooth, slightly caramelized vanilla custard sauce. Sound too good to be true? Well my darlins’, it’s not!
Now listen here – this pie needs a few hours to set just right so the slices don’t fall apart on ya’. Don’t take it the wrong way though, that filling is pure bliss when it’s piping hot straight from the oven. And if you don’t mind things gettin’ a touch messy…well go ahead!
I can understand if y’all can’t wait and want to dig in straight away – waiting for food sometimes feels like an eternity. Trust me, I know that struggle.
But if you’ve got some patience let this baby set properly and not only will your taste buds be dancin’, but she’ll be mighty pretty too. Especially when those pink rhubarbs peak out through that beautiful lattice pie crust.
And while we’re chattin’ about pie crusts…if y’all are followin’ me over on Instagram (and really darlings, ya should), you might have noticed I’ve been experimentin’ with different pie crust styles and decorations recently. Been test drivin’ some crimped edges, braids, lattice tops – reckon flowers might be next up! What do y’all think?
If any of you whip up this recipe at home make sure to tag your photo #myvibrantkitchen. It warms my heart seein’ all your beautiful recreations! And don’t forget sign up for My Vibrant Kitchen’s newsletter down below – get all the latest recipes, vegan lifestyle tips and travel diaries sent directly t’your inbox.
Vegan Apple Rhubarb Pie Recipe
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 60 mins
Total time: 1 hour 20 mins
Serves: 1 pie
- For the pastry:
- 1½ cups white all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp white granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup margarine
- 3 Tbsp ice water
- For the filling:
- ½ cup margarine
- 4 Tbsp white all-purpose flour
- 4 Tbsp water
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 3 medium sized granny smith apples
- Mix the flour, sugar and pinch of salt in a mixing bowl for the pastry. Add the margarine and combine using a fork. Once the mixture starts coming together add the ice water and knead it with your fingers. Form a dough ball and pop it in the fridge.
- Pre-heat the oven to180˚C.
- Melt the margarine in a saucepan over medium heat for the filling. Add the flour and water and stir until it forms a paste. Now add the sugar and keep stirring. If the mixture is bubbling up to side of saucepan, turn down heat.
- Add vanilla extract and pinch of salt after removing from heat after five minutes.
- Cut apples and rhubarb into about one cm big pieces. Get pastry dough out of fridge, divide into two – one being two-thirds, other one-third big. Roll out bigger one until it’s big enough to cover base and sides of pie dish, press into greased pie dish.
- Add half apple and rhubarb pieces inside pie crust, spoon in half filling then add rest of apple/rhubarb topping off with filling.
- Pull out remaining pastry dough, decorate pie (cutting dough into strips creating lattice top optional).
- If desired brush pastry with soy milk sugar mixture (1 TBsp soy milk, one Tbsp sugar stirred well).
- Bake pie in oven for fifty to sixty minutes or until crust turns golden-brown/filling bubbles. Let cool for two hours then enjoy!
Aside from the delightful vegan treats I’ve shared with you, I have several other dessert recipes you might be interested in exploring. For instance, if you are a fan of baked goods, my Vegan Banana Cranberry Chocolate & Pecan Loaf recipe is a treasure worth trying. If you’re craving something bite-sized and sweet, my Vegan Cookies & Cream Truffles recipe will definitely hit the spot. For those looking to step up their dessert game with a tart that is as elegant as it is delicious, I recommend my Vegan Chocolate Raspberry Tart recipe. Lastly, for a truly indulgent experience, don’t miss out on my Vegan Banoffee Cheesecake recipe. Each of these vegan desserts promises to satisfy your sweet tooth while keeping your menu cruelty-free and plant-based.