Vegan Baked Rhubarb Vanilla Cheesecake (Nut Free & High In Protein) Recipe
Vegan Baked Rhubarb Cheesecake (nut free & high in protein)
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
Total time: 1 hour 5 mins
Serves: 1 cake
- 150 g Biscoff biscuits or graham crackers
- 35 g coconut oil
- 700 g firm silken tofu
- 175 g sugar
- 25 g coconut oil
- Zest of 1 unwaxed lemon
- 4 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3½ Tbsp corn flour in 4 Tbsp soy milk (or non-dairy milk of choice)
- 300 g rhubarb
- 3 Tbsp water
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp white caster sugar
- Wash the rhubarb and cut it into pieces. In a big mixing bowl mix the water, lemon juice and sugar and whisk until the sugar is fully dissolved. Add the rhubarb pieces and toss until all are evenly covered. Put them aside and let them soak.
- The base, either crush the biscuits in a plastic sip bag with a rolling pin or blitz them in a food processor or blender until you have fine crumbs. Add the melted coconut oil and mix until well combine.
- Your cake tin with removable bottom should be greased with margarine or vegetable oil. I’m using an18 cm or a7 inch round tin. Press the biscuit base into the bottom of the tin. Pop the base in the fridge to set.
- In a glass or cup mix, mix corn flour with soy milk until you have a thick, smooth liquid.
- The cheesecake layer place consists of firm silken tofu (silken, not regular!), sugar, melted coconut oil, lemon zest and juice, vanilla extract and corn flour soy milk mixture should be placed in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour cheesecake mixture on top of biscuit base and spread it evenly so that entire base is covered.
- The oven should be pre-heated to180˚C.
- Carefully decorate top with rhubarb pieces. I like to get creative with this step and choose a different pattern each time.
- The rhubarb layer should be generously brushed with remaining sugar lemon water mixture then pop cheesecake in oven and bake for40-45 minutes. Let it cool down then pop it in fridge for at least four hours or overnight. The cake will last up to five days in fridge. Enjoy!