It’s almost the weekend and I’ve got just the thing for you to make on Saturday morning. Vegan banana pancakes with chocolate hazelnut sauce. Oh hell yes!
It’s basically the classic pancakes-Nutella combo, only better. The fluffy stack is topped with a nutty spread which melts marvellously and has a bit of an added crunch. I roasted the hazelnuts first and stopped blending just before the mixture started to become smooth. If you prefer a more Nutella-like (instead of Ferrero-Roche-like) texture, just blend it a tad longer.
And the best part? For both the pancakes and the chocolate hazelnut spread you just have to throw the ingredients in a blender, blitz and they’re ready. It’s as easy as that!
I can’t think of a better way to kick off the weekend. Can you?
Just before devouring mine I sprinkled them with banana slices and dried cranberries and I strongly suggest you do the same. In my books fruit and chocolate beats almost any other flavour combination.
If you make this recipe at home be sure to tag your photo #myvibrantkitchen. I love seeing all your beautiful recreations. And don’t forget to sign up for My Vibrant Kitchen’s newsletter below to get the latest recipes, vegan lifestyle tips and travel diaries straight to your inbox.
- For the chocolate hazelnut sauce:
- ½ cup hazelnuts
- ¼ cup icing sugar (or maple syrup)
- ½ cup cacao powder
- ¾ cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- For the pancake batter:
- 2 cups (300 g) all purpose flour
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp white caster sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1½ cups (350 ml) soy milk
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 ripe bananas
- extra oil for frying
- For the Chocolate Hazelnut Spread roast the hazelnuts in a pan or saucepan. When they are starting to turn brown take them off the heat and place them in a blender or food processor.
- Add the icing sugar or maple syrup, cacao powder, melted coconut oil and vanilla extract and blend until almost smooth. You want to leave a little bit of a nutty crunch.
- Set the chocolate hazelnut spread aside to set and proceed making the pancakes. Place the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, soy milk, vegetable oil, vanilla extract and bananas in a blender or food-processor and blitz until you've got a smooth pancake batter.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a frying pan and pour a ladle full of pancake batter into the pan. When the pancake starts forming bubbles carefully flip it to the other side and bake until light golden-brown.
- Top with the chocolate hazelnut spread (depending on your room temperature the texture can vary from firm to liquid) and add other toppings of choice. Enjoy!