Well sugar, today’s recipe is kinda like the original prototype of them overnight oats, y’all know it as Swiss Bircher Müsli!
What you gotta do here is soak your oats in milk and water. If you can, best do this overnight. Then toss in a heap of grated apple and chopped nuts.
It’s as simple as pie, with a creamy texture that’s fresh and nutty. And let me tell ya’, it’s pretty dang good for you too.
This here müsli got its name from a doctor fella by the name of Maximilian Bircher-Benner who served it up for an easy, wholesome breakfast to his patients after him and his wife tried it while hiking in them Swiss Alps.
My mama used to whip up a big batch for breakfast on school days.
Not too long ago I found my fondness for it all over again and just had to share this recipe with y’all! If you’re partial to porridge or Müsli like me, this one’ll have you falling head over heels.
If y’all end up making this recipe at home be sure to tag your photo #myvibrantkitchen on Instagram. I love seeing all your lovely recreations!
And don’t forget to sign up for My Vibrant Kitchen’s newsletter so all the latest recipes, vegan lifestyle tips and travel diaries come straight to your inbox.
Vegan Swiss Bircher Müsli Recipe
3 hours 10 minutes
This recipe serves 2 people.
- 100 g oats
- 200 ml water
- 200 ml soy milk (or non-dairy milk of choice)
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 medium sized apples, grated with skin
- 50 g almonds, chopped
- 50 g hazelnuts, chopped
- 1-2 Tbsp maple syrup or agave nectar
- Place the oats, water and soy milk in a bowl or plastic container and mix to combine. Cover with a tea towel or lid and pop it in the fridge for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Once the oats have soaked up all the liquid, add the lemon juice, grated apples, chopped almonds and hazelnuts and sweeten with maple syrup or agave nectar to taste.
- You can add a dash more soy milk if you’d like your muesli consistency to be a little more liquid.
- Enjoy your Vegan Bircher Müsli!
If you’ve enjoyed cooking with me before, I have some other recipes that could pique your interest.
For a start, you can try my Vegan Blended Peanut Butter Chocolate Porridge/Oatmeal recipe which will certainly spruce up your breakfast experience. It’s rich, creamy and oh-so-delicious!
If you’re more of a smoothie person, my Vegan Green Smoothie (Sweet & Fruity!) recipe is perfect for you. This concoction is not only super healthy but incredibly tasty too!
As for the coffee lovers out there, how about giving my Vegan Pumpkin Spice Latte recipe a try? It’s the perfect blend of flavors to keep you warm during chillier days.
And lastly, for those special occasions or just when you feel like treating yourself, I’d highly recommend my Pomegranate Lime & Mint Fizz Cocktail recipe. It’s absolutely refreshing and will surely impress your guests.