When I devised this recipe, I found myself at a loss for what to name it. An unusual craving and a vivid mental image led me to envision dark, gooey brownie cubes nestled in a jar, topped with a luscious swirl of black cherry cheesecake and a dollop of coconut whipped cream.
With determination, I set to work in the kitchen (creating a mess in record time), and the results matched my imagination perfectly. Decadent dark chocolate brownies, a velvety, tangy-sweet black cherry cheesecake, and a light, fluffy coconut whipped cream.
It bears a striking resemblance to a traditional German black forest gateau, albeit with a twist—it’s not a cake but rather a brownie sundae. Or, you could say it’s a close cousin to one.
Without further ado, allow me to present my creation: Vegan Brownie Black Forest Cheesecake Sundaes in a Jar. Quite a mouthful, both literally and figuratively. And trust me, it’s a mouthful that’s absolutely delicious.
Vegan Brownie Black Forest Cheesecake Sundaes Recipe
Prep time: 30 mins | Cook time: 20 mins | Total time: 50 mins
Cherry Cheesecake Swirl:
- 1 ½ cups cashews (soaked)
- 1 Tbsp coconut cream
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- juice of ½ lemon
- 1 cup cherries
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 150g dark dairy-free chocolate
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup dairy-free milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Start by making the cheesecake mix so it can set in the fridge. You want it to be firm enough to pipe a swirl.
- Soak the cashews overnight or boil them in a saucepan for 15 minutes. Drain them and put them in a blender.
- Melt the coconut cream and oil and add them to the blender. Add the lemon juice, cherries (I used frozen ones), vanilla extract, and maple syrup. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Scrape the cheesecake mixture into a piping bag and refrigerate.
- For the brownies, pre-heat the oven to 175˚C.
- Melt the dark chocolate (in a water bath or on the lowest setting in the microwave).
- In a bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, and brown sugar with a fork or whisk. Then add the dairy-free milk (I used soy), vanilla extract, and melted chocolate. Stir until you have a smooth, thick batter.
- Grease a baking pan, scrape the batter into the pan, and spread evenly. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out almost clean. The brownies should be soft and gooey, so it’s okay if they’re still a bit sticky.
- Let the brownies cool down for 20 minutes, then cut them into cubes and transfer them to a cooling rack.
- When they’re cold, toss several cubes in a jar and pipe the cherry cheesecake in a swirl on top.
- Optional: Top with whipped coconut cream and homemade chocolate sauce (cocoa powder, melted coconut oil & maple syrup). Enjoy!
Indulge in the rich, heavenly delight of these Vegan Brownie Black Forest Cheesecake Sundaes. A delightful combination of cherry cheesecake swirl and gooey brownie cubes come together in a jar for a truly decadent treat.
The creamy cashew-based cheesecake, infused with flavors of coconut and lemon, perfectly complements the luscious dark chocolate brownies.
Topped with whipped coconut cream and drizzled with homemade chocolate sauce, these sundaes are a delightful symphony of flavors and textures.
Serve them at your next gathering or savor them as a special indulgence. Get ready to experience a dessert sensation that will leave you craving for more.
However, if you are looking for something a bit fluffier, you might like my Vegan Spiced Carrot Cake Gluten Free!