Y’all know, I have a hankerin’ for a pinch of sweet in my savory dishes. Talkin’ about mango in them curries, apple and orange in salads or pineapple atop pizzas – y’all get the drift, right?
Now, this ain’t everyone’s brew of choice but it tickles my fancy something fierce: crackers all decked out with salty cashew cream cheese and caramelised figs and walnuts.
Good lord, it’s lip smackin’ good! If that sounds right up your alley, reckon you should give ’em a whirl! It’s like a real ol’ hoedown for your taste buds.
Sometimes I daydream that it might’ve been something them ancient Romans dug into.
My memory’s a mite fuzzy but I reckon there was salted cheese, figs, walnuts and honey mentioned back in history class. But don’t hold me to that.
These here vegan caramelised fig & walnut cashew cream cheese bites make one heck of an appetizer at a dinner shindig. Or (like in my situation) the fanciest second breakfast this side of Dixie.
No matter what event you rustle these up for (don’t need no special occasion at all!) they’re tasty as all get-out and I reckon you’ll take to ‘em just like I did.
Vegan Caramelised Fig & Walnut Cashew Cream Cheese Bites Recipe
12 hours 15 mins
- Cashew Cream Cheese:
- 1 ½ cups cashews
- 1 garlic clove
- 4 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast flakes (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup water
- Caramelized Figs & Walnuts:
- 1 cup chopped dried dates
- 1 cup walnut quarters
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- pinch of salt
Cashew Cream Cheese:
- Boil cashews for 5 minutes to soften them.
- Place cashews, garlic clove, lime juice, apple cider vinegar, nutritional yeast flakes (optional), salt and water in a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth and creamy.
Caramelized Dates & Walnuts:
- Using a sauce pan bring brown sugar, salt and water to a boil and let it sizzle for 5 minutes.
- Cut dates in small pieces and chop walnuts in quarters, then add them to the sauce pan and let the mixture sizzle for another 5 minutes.
- Take it off the hob, transfer it in a jar or bowl and leave it out to cool.
- Let the cream cheese and the caramelized fig and walnuts set in the fridge over night. Serve with crackers. Enjoy!
If you enjoyed my previous recipes, I would love for you to try some other dishes I’ve put together.
For instance, my Vegan Pesto Pasta Salad With Roasted Cherry Tomatoes And Chickpeas recipe is a delightful Italian-inspired dish that’s both hearty and refreshing.
For a tangy and protein-packed salad option, check out my Vegan Loaded Black Bean Salad recipe.
Looking for a vegan alternative to a comfort food classic? Try my Vegan Sweet Potato Mac ’N Cheese recipe.
And if you’re in the mood for something rich and flavorful with an Indian twist, don’t miss my Vegan Coconut Tomato Dhal recipe.