Pancakes sure are one of my top choices for a hearty breakfast meal. They’re like that gift that just doesn’t stop givin’. You whip up a batter and every time you’re surprised by how many golden brown pancakes you end up cookin’.
That’s why they’re such a fantastic dish to whip up on one of those long, relaxed brunch get-togethers with all your kinfolks or friends. And since it ain’t no big deal to double the batter, the more folks around your table, the better!
Pancakes have been enjoyed since time immemorial, made by ancient cultures like the Greeks and Romans. I even read somewhere that Ötzi – the feller they found preserved in them icy Alps – might’ve had pancakes in his stomach when he passed on, and he lived between 3400 and 3100 BC.
Pancakes can vary widely in texture, thickness and flavor. Now me? I’m partial to fluffy American-style pancakes while my sweetheart leans toward crepes.
This here batch lies somewhere in-between. They ain’t paper-thin nor thick as clouds. I’d liken them more to traditional English or German-style pancakes – reasonably thin, light yet fluffy but with an eggy richness missing from crepes.
So here we go: Vegan chocolate chip pancakes served with a smooth mixed berry sauce.
The chocolate is tucked inside these pancakes, melting beautifully when you slice into ’em. The hot berries are blended into a creamy sauce that pairs perfectly with these sweet pancakes by adding a bright and tangy punch.
If y’all try this recipe at home don’t forget to tag your photo #myvibrantkitchen on Instagram. I love seeing all your wonderful recreations. And remember to sign up for My Vibrant Kitchen’s newsletter so you can get the latest recipes, vegan lifestyle tips and travel tales straight to your inbox.
Vegan Chocolate Chip Pancakes With Smooth & Zingy Mixed Berry Sauce Recipe
- Prep time: 15 mins
- Cook time: 20 mins
- Total time: 35 mins
- Serves: 10 pancakes
- 150 g white flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp white caster sugar
- 200 ml soy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100 ml aquafaba, aka chickpea water
- 100 g dark chocolate, chopped
- 200 g mixed berries, frozen or fresh
- 4 Tbsp white caster sugar
- For the pancake batter combine the white flour, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Add the soy milk and vanilla extract and whisk until you have a smooth batter. Let the batter rest while you prepare the rest.
- Add the aquafaba and caster sugar to a second mixing bowl and whisk until the mixture turns white and frothy.
- Add the frothy aquafaba and the chopped chocolate to the pancake batter and fold both into the batter. When everything is well combined heat up a large frying pan and add 1 Tbsp of margarine in the middle. Once the margarine has melted pour a small ladle full of batter in the centre of the pan. Flip the pancake after about 30 seconds. Cook the other side for another 10 seconds then transfer to a plate. Repeat until you’ve used up the batter.
- For the berry sauce place the frozen berries in a sauce pan and cook over medium heat until the mixture starts bubbling. Add the sugar and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Take the berries off the heat and use a stick blender to blend until you have a smooth sauce.
- Serve the pancakes with the berry sauce, extra chocolate, maple syrup and other toppings of choice. Enjoy!
If you’re craving for something sweet and decadent, I’ve got a repertoire of mouth-watering dessert recipes that are sure to satisfy. One of my favorites is my Vegan Tiffins – Chocolate Biscuit Fridge Cake recipe.
It’s packed with crunchy biscuits and smothered in rich chocolate – a real treat for the chocoholics out there! For something slightly different, why not try my Vegan Rhubarb Custard Tart recipe?
The tartness of the rhubarb beautifully complements the creamy custard. If you’re looking for bite-size treats, my Vegan Chocolate Raspberry Cake Pops recipe is perfect.
These delightful little gems are a hit at parties and gatherings. Last but certainly not least, you must try my Vegan Candied Almond Whipped Chocolate Truffles recipe. They’re wonderfully decadent and the crunch from the candied almonds is simply irresistible!