Just a short while back, we were gifted with the first real sunshine-filled week in London.
Now, while I spent most of that time outdoors, meandering around Shoreditch or pulling up them stubborn weeds in our local community garden, I started to get a hankering for some good ole summer foods like sweet corn, veggie burgers and watermelon.
Then the other day, my cravings got the better of me and I whipped up one of my summer favourites: Couscous Salad.
This here salad’s jam-packed with all sorts of vibrant veggies, spicy tofu cubes fried to crispy perfection and pomegranate seeds for a touch of sweetness.
For me, this glorious weather just screams BBQ season! It’s high time we got it started.
Yup, despite being a vegan I sure do love BBQs. Naturally, I give them steaks and sausages a wide berth.
Instead, you’ll find me grilling up veggie kebabs, garlic portobello mushrooms and chocolate stuffed bananas on the ‘que. Heck there’s no limit really – there ain’t no need for meat on my grill!
And don’t forget about all those mouthwatering salads and side dishes ready for devourin’.
This couscous salad right here? It’s one of my go-to dishes when it comes to BBQs (and picnics or outdoor garden soirees).
Vegan Couscous Salad With Crispy Fried Tofu And Pomegranate Seeds Recipe
– 2 cups couscous
– 4 cups vegetable stock
– Olive oil
– 2 peppers
– 1 cup cherry tomatoes
– 2 courgettes
– 1 block of firm tofu
– ½ cup olives
– ½ cup pomegranate seeds
– 1 red onion
– 3 garlic cloves
– Juice of ½ lemon
– Chili flakes
– Smoked paprika
1. Chop the peppers, slice the courgettes and onion and halve the cherry tomatoes.
2. Fry the chopped vegetable in 2 Tbsp olive oil and add a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Cut two garlic cloves into small pieces and add them and the olives when the vegetables start to get dark edges. Continue to fry for another 3 minutes.
3. Set the vegetables aside and cut the tofu into cubes. Fry the tofu in 1 Tbsp olive oil and add one finely chopped garlic clove, a pinch of salt, chili flakes (optional) and smoked paprika. Continue until the tofu is golden brown and crispy.
4. Prepare 4 cups of vegetable stock. In a large serving bowl, pour the stock over 2 cups of couscous and stir until the couscous is soft and has a slightly creamy texture.
5. Now add the juice of half a lemon and ⅓ cup of olive oil.
6. Mix in the vegetables and season with pepper, salt and chili flakes to taste.
7. When serving, top with the tofu cubes (or mix them into the salad) and sprinkle pomegranate seeds on top. Enjoy!
If you’re the adventurous kind and open to trying out new recipes, I’ve got some fantastic suggestions for you.
First off, get your tastebuds tingling with my Homemade Roasted Beetroot Fettuccine With Avocado Pesto recipe; it’s a unique twist on the classic Italian dish that’s packed full of flavor.
If you’re in the mood for something simpler, my How To Make A Kick-Ass Vegan Sandwich recipe is an absolute delight and ideal for a quick lunch.
You can even spice up your snack time with my Healthy Vegan Cheesy Nacho Sauce recipe, perfect to pair with tortilla chips or veggies!
And if you’re a breakfast person like me, then start your day right with my Vegan Blueberry Banana Breakfast Smoothie recipe. It’s refreshing, wholesome and will give you the energy boost you need for the day!