Just like I done told y’all, here comes my all-time favorite holiday recipe: the best vegan pecan pie. And when I say best, honey, I mean BEST.
As a food blogger, most of my days are spent in the kitchen stirring, whisking, kneading and of course, tasting.
When Christmas is right around bend things get even more hectic. It’s the season for countless festive (or snug!) gatherings, a slew of grand feasts and an array of sweet baked treats.
So when I tell ya this pie is my most beloved thing this season… it’s gotta be pretty darn good. There’s plenty of holiday food competition out there at this time o’ year.
This pie right here is super creamy, chewy and caramel-y with a hint of warm seasonal spices and crispy pecans on top. Words and pictures won’t do it justice but I reckon I have to try.
Last time around we topped each slice with dairy-free vanilla ice cream and let me tell ya it was just outta this world. Y’all need to do yourselves a favor and bake up this pie. You can thank me later.
We’re planning on having this for dessert on Christmas Eve and I reckon I can find plenty more reasons occasions to whip up this pie before the new year rolls around.
Vegan Festive Pecan Pie Recipe
For the pie crust:
- 1 cup flour
- ⅓ cup margarine
- 2 Tbsp white granulated sugar
- pinch salt
- 2 Tbsp ice water
For the pie filling:
- ½ cup margarine
- 5 Tbsp flour
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp blackstrap molasses
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- generous pinch of nutmeg
- pinch of coarse sea salt
For the pecan topping:
- 1½ cups pecan halves
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- For the pie crust mix the flour, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl. Add the margarine and use a fork to combine the mixture.
- When it starts to come together and form loose crumbles, add the ice water and knead the dough with your fingers until everything is well combined.
- Place the dough in the fridge for 10 minutes. Dust a clean working surface with flour and roll our the dough thinly with a rolling pin.
- Place the sheet of dough in a greased pie dish, gently push it down and cut off the excess dough.
- Pop it back into the fridge while making the caramel filling.
- Melt the margarine in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and mix well.
- Now add the water, the sugar and the blackstrap molasses and stir to combine. Turn up the heat until the mixture starts to bubble then turn it all the way down and keep stirring it for another 5 minutes.
- You want the sugar to melt but not to caramelize too much yet. It’s going to caramelize more in the oven.
- Take the caramel off the heat and stir in the vanilla extract, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Once well combined pour the mixture into the unbaked pie crust and spread it evenly.
- Pop it in a pre-heated oven and bake it at 180˚C for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the pecan halves. Place them in a saucepan over high to medium heat, add the sugar and stir while the sugar is caramelizing. After a few minutes the pecan halves will be coated in caramel. Spread them out on baking paper and let them cool.
- Decorate the pie with the pecan halves when it’s straight out of the oven. Don’t wait for the pie to cool otherwise the pecans won’t stick/slightly melt into the pie. Be careful not to burn yourself though!
- Let the pie cool and set for 2 hours before cutting it in slices. Enjoy!
If you loved my recipes so far, there are still plenty more to try!
For instance, I have a delightful Vegan Mocha Chocolate Pie – Plant-Based Cooks recipe, it’s a wonderful blend of rich chocolate and warm coffee flavors in every bite.
If you are fond of fruit-based desserts, look no further than my Vegan Pear Custard Pie With Caramelized Almond Crust recipe and Vegan Pear Cranberry Crumble With Homemade Custard recipe. Both provide a delectable balance of sweetness and tartness.
Finally, for those with an adventurous palate looking for something truly unique, I recommend my Vegan Pumpkin Zesty Orange And Crushed Black Pepper Cake With Cardamom Cheesecake Topping recipe. It’s an extraordinarily flavor-packed dessert that is sure to impress!