ATL’s been just a-pamperin’ us with some of the finest spring weather here of late (and that’s no mean feat if you’re askin’ yours truly), and let me tell you, I’ve been drinkin’ up every sweet second of it.
That gentle wind a blowin’ and that golden sunshine sure has got me in high spirits, and I’m already hankerin’ for them summer months. Now, it’s still February mind you, so I reckon I gotta rein in my impatience for a bit longer. Been keepin’ myself busy by switchin’ things up in my kitchen, sneakin’ in a few summer-style recipes wherever I can.
Our vegan grapefruit drizzle cake today is the first whisper of spring on the blog. Keep an eye out y’all – you’ll be findin’ plenty more sprinkled amongst all them steaming soups and winter warmers over the next little while. Times they certainly are a-changin’.
This here cake is an exciting spin on our dear ol’ lemon drizzle, packed to the brim with tangy bite. We got grapefruit zest and juice mixed into the sponge; then there’s grapefruit syrup drizzled atop when it’s still piping hot; finish her off with a juicy glaze…hoo boy! Olive oil lends another tasty layer to this dish, complimenting that citrus tartness right beautifully. Y’all might want to use dark olive oil – packs more punch flavour-wise.
Now just a quick aside: I finally made the switch from cup measurements to grams and millilitres. Initially went with cups ’cause they’re easy peasy but then realized there was some confusion about American versus British cups – turns out grams are more accurate than cups anyhow. Hope y’all understand where I’m comin’ from.
If y’all whip up this recipe at your homestead make sure to tag your photo #myvibrantkitchen. Ain’t nothin’ makes me happier than seein’ all your lovely re-dos. And don’t y’all go forgettin’ now – sign up for My Vibrant Kitchen’s newsletter down below to get our freshest recipes, vegan livin’ tips and travel diaries delivered straight into your inbox.
Vegan Grapefruit Drizzle Cake Recipe
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
Total time: 1 hour
Serves: 1 cake
- 300g flour
- 175g sugar + 4 Tbsp for syrup, levelled
- 2 tsp baking powder, levelled
- 150ml dark olive oil
- 100ml water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 grapefruits (unwaxed since juice & zest is needed)
- 4 Tbsp icing sugar, levelled
- Pre-heat the oven to 180˚C.
- In a big mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar and baking powder.
- First zest, then juice the grapefruit. Add the olive oil, water, vanilla extract, grapefruit zest and half the grapefruit juice. When the batter is well combined pour it in a greased baking tin, pop it in the oven and bake the cake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- For the syrup bring the other half of the grapefruit juice (save 2 tsp for the glaze!) and 4 Tbsp of sugar to a boil in a small saucepan.
- When the liquid starts to thicken take it off the heat and drizzle it over the hot cake when it’s still in the baking tin. Focus on the crack in the middle of the cake and use the toothpick to poke a few holes into the crust so the syrup can seep into the cake.
- Once the cake has cooled down, carefully remove it from the tin and start preparing the glaze.
- Mix the last 2 tsp of grapefruit juice with 4 Tbsp icing sugar and stir until you have a smooth, thick consistency.
- Drizzle and spread the icing on top of the cake. Let it set for 15 minutes and enjoy!
If you have a sweet tooth like me, then I have some other dessert recipes that you might want to try. One of my favorites is my Vegan Apple Rhubarb Pie recipe. It’s a delightful combination of tart rhubarb and sweet apples that makes it absolutely irresistible.
If you’re in the mood for something with a touch of chocolate, then I highly recommend my Vegan Banana Cranberry Chocolate & Pecan Loaf recipe. It’s incredibly moist and has a nice crunch from the pecans.
Then there’s my indulgent Vegan Cookies & Cream Truffles recipe, which are decadently delicious and surprisingly easy to make.
And last but not least, if you’re up for a little bit of baking, give my Vegan Chocolate Raspberry Tart recipe a go! The combination of rich chocolate and tart raspberries is simply heavenly.