I’m just head over heels for all that fresh fall harvest nowadays! Apples, pears, blackberries, pumpkins, tomatoes, carrots.
Our larder’s as bright as a rainbow and our oven scarcely gets a moment of peace ‘twixt bakin’ bouts.
When my mind starts to wander, I tend to find myself in a kinda food heaven cookin’ up the tastiest (and sometimes weirdest) concoctions.
I’ve been playin’ with the notion of tryin’ my hand at galettes for some time and finally got around to it. And wouldn’t you know it? It turned out perfect on the first try!
A crunchy pie crust slathered with thyme cashew cream cheese, topped off with heirloom tomato slices and fresh cracked black pepper.
Turns out that cashew cream cheese takes to bakin’ real well; I reckon I’ll try usin’ it on a pizza next time.
Pickin’ good tomatoes is essential here! It’s worth hoppin’ over to the farmers market or a decent vegetable store for this one.
You’re lookin’ for ripe, heavy tomatoes bursting with flavor and steer clear of those bland watery ones you often run into at supermarkets.
For this dish, I used a colorful mix of heirloom tomatoes; they’re mighty tasty and sure make your end product look as good as it tastes!
Vegan Heirloom Tomato Galette With Thyme Cream Cheese Recipe
- ½ cup cashews, soaked or boiled
- 4 garlic cloves
- ½ cup soy milk
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp fresh thyme
- 2½ cups plain flour
- ½ cup margarine
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup cold water
- 3-4 tomatoes
- pinch of pepper
- pinch of salt
- drizzle of olive oil
- drizzle of soy milk
- Soak the cashews over night or boil them in a sauce pan for 5 minutes.
- Drain the cashews and add them to a blender or food processor.
- Add the garlic cloves, soy milk, salt and lemon juice and blitz until smooth and creamy.
- Remove the little thyme leaves from the stems and mix them with the cashew cream using a spoon, don’t blend.
- For the dough place the flour in a mixing bowl, add the salt and margarine and use your hands to mix and knead the dough.
- Add the cold water and knead until the dough comes together nicely.
- Divide the dough into two pieces, flour the work surface and roll out the dough.
- Slice the tomatoes, spread the cashew thyme cream on both bases and top off the galettes with the tomato slices.
- Sprinkle with cracked black pepper and a pinch of salt, drizzle with olive oil, then fold the edge of the dough over the filling.
- Brush the crust with soy milk and place the galettes in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC and when ready bake the galettes for 35 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
If you enjoyed creating and consuming my recipes before, there are others I’d love for you to try.
For a hearty breakfast or brunch, consider making my Vegan Cherry Tomato & Baby Spinach Quiche recipe.
If you’re in the mood for a savoury-sweet appetizer, delight your taste buds with my Vegan Caramelised Fig & Walnut Cashew Cream Cheese Bites recipe.
Looking for the perfect pasta dish? Then opt for my Vegan Pesto Pasta Salad With Roasted Cherry Tomatoes And Chickpeas recipe.
Lastly, if you need a healthy loaded salad to go with your meal or as a meal in itself, prepare my Vegan Loaded Black Bean Salad recipe.
I hope these recipes inspire your vegan culinary journey as much as they’ve inspired mine.