For many of us porridge is a winter breakfast favourite. It fills our bellies on cold, rainy mornings and come spring gets replaced by fruit muesli, smoothies or avocado on toast. But with a little twist of flavours it becomes a refreshingly zingy start in the day.
Fresh lemon juice meets creamy coconut milk and is topped off with poppy seeds, caramelized lemon slices and freshly-grated zest. It’s full of summery flavours yet warm and filling and gives you all the energy you need to take on the day.
- 1 ½ cups oats
- 3 cups coconut milk
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup (or sweetener of choice)
- 2 Tbsp poppy seeds
- pinch of salt
- 1 lemon (in slices)
- 1 Tbsp coconut cream
- In a saucepan toast the oats on a medium-high heat until fragrant. Don't wait until they start getting brown.
- Add the coconut milk and lemon juice and bring the mixture to a boil. Stir regularly, then turn the heat down and let it simmer.
- Now add a pinch of salt, the maple syrup and the poppy seeds, cover and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile cut the other lemon in slices, cover the slices in white sugar and bake them in a pan until the sugar caramelizes.
- Top the porridge with the caramelized lemon slices, a tablespoon of coconut cream, poppy seeds and the zest of one freshly-grated lemon. Enjoy!