I’m down here in the South, y’all, enjoying a weeklong festival in my hometown, and let me tell you, the weather is hotter than a jalapeño on a summer day. These blue-skied, sticky-hot days are just what I needed to get my creative juices flowing in the kitchen.
I’ve whipped up a pie that combines the creaminess of coconut with the refreshing zing of lime—a match made in southern dessert heaven.
Now, nobody wants to be cooped up in the kitchen for hours on end when the sun is shining bright outside. So, I made sure this recipe is as simple and quick as a two-step square dance!
With just a handful of ingredients, a dash of time, and a pinch of effort, you can enjoy a dessert bursting with flavor.
If y’all decide to give this recipe a whirl at home, make sure to tag your photo with #myvibrantkitchen on Instagram. I love seeing all y’all’s beautiful recreations.
And don’t forget to sign up for My Vibrant Kitchen’s newsletter below, so you can get the latest recipes, vegan lifestyle tips, and tales from my travels straight to your inbox.
Happy cooking, y’all!
Vegan Lime Coconut Pie (Improved Recipe)
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Chill time: 3 hours
Total time: 3 hours 25 mins
Serves: 8 servings
For the crust:
- 150 g pitted dates
- 100 g almonds
- 75 g rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
For the filling:
- 2 cans full-fat coconut milk (800 ml)
- 100 g cornstarch
- 200 g organic cane sugar or coconut sugar
- 3 limes (juice and zest)
- In a food processor, blend the dates, almonds, rolled oats, melted coconut oil, vanilla extract, and salt until a sticky dough forms.
- Grease a 9-inch pie dish with coconut oil and press the dough firmly into the bottom and up the sides of the dish. Using a pie dish with a removable bottom will make it easier to remove later.
- Place the crust in the fridge while you prepare the filling.
- Zest and juice the limes and set them aside.
- In a saucepan, pour the coconut milk, reserving about a cup in a separate bowl. Add the cornstarch to the reserved coconut milk and whisk until smooth and creamy.
- Bring the remaining coconut milk in the saucepan to a boil over medium heat. Slowly pour in the coconut-cornstarch mixture while whisking vigorously to prevent lumps from forming.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the sugar to the saucepan. Continue whisking until the filling thickens.
- Once the filling has thickened, add the lime zest and juice, and whisk to incorporate.
- Take the pie crust out of the fridge and pour the lime coconut filling into the crust.
- Return the pie to the fridge and let it set for at least 3 hours, or until firm.
- Slice and serve the Vegan Lime Coconut Pie chilled. Enjoy!
Note: You can garnish the pie with additional lime zest or shredded coconut for extra flavor and decoration if desired.