Everything ’bout this here pie is just finger-lickin’ good, y’all! It’s inspired by my beau’s favourite sweet treat, Maya Gold by them folks over at Green & Blacks.
Imagine, a crust made from toasted walnuts and dates, topped with a whipped chocolate ganache that’s richer than a southern plantation owner but light as a feather. It’s spiced with some good ol’ cayenne pepper, nutmeg and cinnamon and hopped up with orange zest and a generous pour of orange juice.
This here whipped chocolate cream sets real nice and makes for an easy-slice mousse that just melts on your tongue like butter on hot grits. I could keep yammering on about it but I reckon you’re already hooked.
Please do give this one a whirl! You won’t be sorry, promise.
Guess what? I’m now on that there Twitter! Scoot on over to My Vibrant Kitchen on Twitter and hit follow to see my latest kitchen doings as well as some mighty delicious vegan recipes from my favourite food bloggers out there.
Now if you rustle up this recipe at home, don’t forget to tag your photo #myvibrantkitchen over yonder Instagram. I take great delight in seeing all your pretty recreations. Don’t forget to sign up for My Vibrant Kitchen’s newsletter either – you’ll get the latest recipes, vegan lifestyle tips and travel diaries delivered straight to your inbox quicker’n greased lightning.
Vegan Mayan Spiced Whipped Chocolate Pie Recipe
Vegan Mayan Spiced Whipped Chocolate Pie
- Prep time: 35 mins
- Cook time: 10 mins
- Total time: 45 mins
- Serves: 1 pie
- 50 g oats
- 100 g walnuts
- 150 g dates
- 15 g coconut oil
- Pinch of salt
- 350 ml coconut milk (or 350 g if using the scales)
- Zest of 1 orange
- 5 Tbsp orange juice
- 350 g dark chocolate
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1½ tsp nutmeg
- 4 tsp cinnamon
- For the chocolate mousse layer add the coconut milk and the orange zest to a small sauce pan. Bring the coconut milk to a boil, turn down the heat and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Take it off the heat and add the chocolate in chunks. Let it sit for two minutes and then stir until the chocolate is fully melted. Now add the cayenne pepper, nutmeg, cinnamon, orange juice and vanilla extract and stir until well combined.
- Pop the ganache in the fridge for 30 to 40 minutes to let it cool down. Keep checking the consistency of the chocolate ganache, giving it a good stir. You want it to thicken but still be liquid enough to slowly run down a spoon.
- Meanwhile for the base toast the walnuts on medium heat in a frying pan until they start turning brown, be careful not to burn them. Add the walnuts, oats, dates, coconut oil and a pinch of salt to a food processor and blitz until everything is well combined and the mixture holds together when you pinch it between your fingers.
- Firmly press the mixture in a pie dish or cake tin, preferably with removable bottom.
- When the ganache is cold and has thickened a bit take it out of the fridge and whip it with a hand or stand mixer (also called electric whisk) for about 1 to 2 minutes or until it has gone lighter in colour and holds it’s shape. Be careful not to over whip it or it might become grainy.
- Quickly spoon the chocolate mousse on top of the pie base. The whipped ganache firms up fast so you have to be quick.
- Let the pie set in the fridge for 20 minutes. Enjoy!
If you’ve got a sweet tooth and are on the hunt for more delightful vegan dessert recipes, I’ve got an array of options for you to try.
Consider my Vegan Chai Spiced Shortbread With Chocolate Ganache & Salted Pistachios recipe, crafted with subtle chai spices that perfectly complements the rich chocolate ganache and crunchy pistachios.
Or perhaps, delve into Austrian cuisine with my Vegan Kaiserschmarrn: Austrian Torn Pancakes With Baked Pears & Blackberries recipe, a fluffy, fruity treat that is sure to bring warmth to your kitchen.
For chocolate lovers, my Vegan Salted Caramel Chocolate Mousse Pie recipe will satisfy those cravings with a perfect balance of sweet caramel and decadent chocolate. Lastly, nothing beats a classic Galette; try my Vegan Peach Crumble Galette recipe for a delightful end to any meal.