Howdy y’all! The vegan online magazine Plant Based Cooks kindly invited me to team up with ’em and whip up a right tasty vegan recipe.
Well, I let my imagination run wild and what do ya know – this delightful vegan mocha chocolate pie came out of it. It’s one of my most loved pies ever! And it sure as shootin’ has a festive feel to it.
Y’all can check out their website over here → Plant Based Cooks, and my post over here → Vegan Mocha Chocolate Pie.
They’re busy as bees workin’ on a vegan recipe sharing community right now, so be sure to follow them to stay in the know.
Vegan Mocha Chocolate Pie – Plant Based Cooks Recipe
1 hour 5 minutes
For the pie crust:
- 1 cup flour
- 2 Tbsp white sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup cold margarine
- 2 Tbsp ice water
For the mocha layer:
- ½ cup soy yogurt
- ⅓ cup cashews, boiled or soaked
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tsp lemon juice
- 3 tsp cornflour (called cornstarch in the US)
- pinch of salt
- 100g melted dark baking chocolate
- ¼ cup water
- 3 Tbsp instant coffee
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
For the chocolate layer:
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 200g dark chocolate
- Place the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt and margarine in a big mixing bowl and combine using a fork.
- When you have a crumbly dough texture add the ice water (I added a few ice cubes to a small bowl of cold water). Use your fingers to knead the dough until well combined, then form a ball and place it in a greased pie dish.
- Using your fingers press the dough flat and work it up the sides of the pie dish as high as you can. Pop it in the fridge.
- For the mocha layer soak the cashews overnight or boil them in water in a saucepan for 5 minutes to soften them.
- Boil the kettle and add ¼ cup of boiling water to a cup of 3 Tbsp of instant coffee. Stir until combine and set aside to cool.
- Chop then melt the dark chocolate in a water bath on the hob or place it in the microwave on the lowest heat setting until it starts melting and stir until the chocolate is liquid (be careful not to burn it!).
- Place the soy yogurt, drained cashews, vanilla extract, lemon juice, cornflour, salt, melted dark chocolate, coffee, sugar and cocoa powder in a blender or food-processor and blitz until smooth and creamy.
- Take the pie dish out of the fridge and pour the mocha mixture into the unbaked pie crust.
- Lift the pie dish of the counter about 1 cm and carefully let it fall down again. Repeat a few times, you will be able to see some bubbles come to the top and pop.
- Pop it into a pre-heated oven and bake for 35 minutes at 180˚C.
- Once the pie is out of the oven prepare the chocolate layer by bringing the coconut milk to a boil in a saucepan. Once it starts bubbling take it off the hob and stir in the chocolate chunks until they’re completely melted.
- Pour the chocolate cream on top of the mocha layer and let it cool on the counter for 15 minutes.
- Add decorations if you like, I used chopped hazelnuts and pop it in the fridge for 3 hours.
In addition to the dishes I’ve already mentioned, there are plenty of other tantalizing recipes that you can also try.
The Vegan Pear Custard Pie With Caramelized Almond Crust recipe is a perfect blend of sweet, juicy pears and a rich caramelized almond crust.
If you’re looking for something with a tart kick, check out my Vegan Pear Cranberry Crumble With Homemade Custard recipe.
For something unique and indulgent, I bet you’ll love my Vegan Pumpkin Zesty Orange And Crushed Black Pepper Cake With Cardamom Cheesecake Topping recipe.
And don’t forget about breakfast – this Vegan Toffee Apple Breakfast Muffins recipe is an absolute showstopper!
These delicious meals will make your taste buds dance with joy while keeping your vegan lifestyle in mind.