And it’s Monday again… I hope everyone had a good weekend. It’s very wintery in London at the moment and I’ve heard it’s supposed to get even colder. Lets kick off the week with some hearty, warming and wintery food then, shall we?
A hot, rich mushroom, leek and sweet potato tart, the perfect addition to any vegan (and non-vegan) wintery feast. I feel like we need more of those during these dark times! Or a lovely dinner for two perhaps… Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, I’ve heard?
Crumbly, buttery pastry, a super creamy sweet potato filling with a hint of dijon mustard and nutmeg and topped with mushrooms, leeks, a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of cracked black pepper. Baked till golden brown and served piping hot, straight out of the oven.
That’s it from me for today, lets keep it short and sweet (or savoury). Talk to you soon!
As always, if you make this recipe at home be sure to tag your photo #myvibrantkitchen. I love seeing all your beautiful recreations. And don’t forget to sign up for My Vibrant Kitchen’s newsletter below to get the latest recipes, vegan lifestyle tips and travel diaries straight to your inbox.
- For the pastry:
- 1 cup flour
- ⅓ cup margarine
- ⅓ tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp ice water
- For the filling:
- 1 small sweet potato (300g)
- 1½ cup plant-based cream
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- generous pinch pepper
- generous pinch nutmeg
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ cup cashews
- 1 Tbsp corn flour
- 1 leek
- 200g mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Pierce the sweet potato a couple of times with a knife and pop it in a pre-heated oven. Bake it at 180˚C until it's tender.
- Soak the cashews over night or boil them in water for 10 minutes.
- For the pastry use a fork to combine the flour, salt and margarine in a mixing bowl. When the dough starts coming together add the ice water and use your fingers to knead and combine, then form a dough and pop it in the fridge.
- Once the sweet potato is ready, peal it or scrape the flesh out of the skin and add it to a blender or food processor. Add the cream, salt, mustard, pepper, nutmeg, cashews, garlic cloves and corn flour and blend until smooth.
- Roll out the dough and press it into the greased pie dish. Cut off the overlapping edges, fill the pastry with ceramic baking beans or dry pulses and bake it for ten minutes at 180˚C.
- Cut the mushrooms and the leek in slices. Sauté both in a frying pan for a couple of minutes in a drizzle of olive oil with a pinch of pepper and salt.
- Once the pastry is out of the oven spoon in the sweet potato cream and top it with the mushrooms and leeks. Gently push down the slices in the filling. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with black pepper.
- Bake it for 25 to 30 minutes at 180˚C. Enjoy!